Chrome rocker trim- to stay or go?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 4, 2012
I'm kinda wondering whether or not I should get rid of the chrome rocker trim on my regal. I have it off right now, but if I want to get rid of it i still have to get rid of the pegs on the door and the quarter, as well as I'd have to fiberglass the two little holes on the fender. If I keep it, I will paint it black, to match my blackout. Opinions please?

When I first bought my Cutlass I hated the chrome rocker trim, to me it looked like it was just stuck on by GM for the hell of it. But after owning it for a couple of years I've actually grown to like it, however when I restore it the chrome is being removed simply because I don't want to deal with the rust that comes from the trim holding water.

trocutlass63 said:
When I first bought my Cutlass I hated the chrome rocker trim, to me it looked like it was just stuck on by GM for the hell of it. But after owning it for a couple of years I've actually grown to like it, however when I restore it the chrome is being removed simply because I don't want to deal with the rust that comes from the trim holding water.

Another good point...

I'm not a big fan of chrome but I would either leave it as chrome or remove it if you plan on painting it and blacking it out since it will most likely get chipped in that location and you end up always doing touch ups or like one of my buddies used to do and carry around a black permamarker.

Keep it!

I didn't like it simply because it trapped water and crud behind it and eventually rots out the door skin...

I'm biased, all the rust on my Cutlass was under the rocker trim, so it will Never be on my car again. However, it Can look good! haha

I removed all the chrome on my car....and I like it better, it's a personal choice

Attachments

• GP_Page_1.jpg
    GP_Page_1.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 760
  • P1010189.JPG
    P1010189.JPG
    57.9 KB · Views: 761
i never cared for it at first but it has grown on me..depends on the colour scheme..it is problematic though with the rust issues that other have mentioned and at the same time no dings in the paint..i will likley keep mine when i get paint done down the road

pontiacgp said:
I removed all the chrome on my car....and I like it better, it's a personal choice

First gp I've ever seen with a blackout. Nice! My chrome was all shot and I definately wasn't paying for new chrome, so I decided to black it out, which I like better, although the chrome has kind grown on me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor