CHEVY Chrome Trim on Door?

Status
Not open for further replies.

g0thiac

G-Body Guru
Sep 6, 2020
So my 1988 Caprice had the trim piece fall off, due to rust for the clips. Where my arm is in the photo, you can see where it's supposed to be.

Any ideas on how I can get it on? Thanks.

1620604703866.png

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
Replace the clips?

Not sure on the caprice, but various gbodies had studs on either end of the trim piece itself that went through about 1/4" holes through the door at either end, with a fastener that screwed down the two studs.

This being in addition to the studs on the door skin that the bigger plastic clips slid onto which, in turn ran every foot or so down the trim piece.

Such an arrangement might be an option, where you could epoxy the studs onto the trim if not present. Hard to advise without seeing what was originally present on the backside on either end of the trim.

Reactions: 1 user

g0thiac

G-Body Guru
Sep 6, 2020
Replace the clips?

Not sure on the caprice, but various gbodies had studs on either end of the trim piece itself that went through about 1/4" holes through the door at either end, with a fastener that screwed down the two studs.

This being in addition to the studs on the door skin that the bigger plastic clips slid onto which, in turn ran every foot or so down the trim piece.

Such an arrangement might be an option, where you could epoxy the studs onto the trim if not present. Hard to advise without seeing what was originally present on the backside on either end of the trim.
Where would I get new clips for them?

I can post some pictures later this week if that helps.

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
Where would I get new clips for them?

I can post some pictures later this week if that helps.
Either online or at a local auto body supply shop.

You'll need measurements of what they are or used to be with the clip ends intact since they come in different sizes for the same shape.

Might even find a part number reference on a web based dealer since the body style ran through 1990 and they've still got listings for square suburbans than ran to 1991. Or a member here with manuals might chime in too.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
Maybe pull the trim off the other door to get a sample clip to match up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor