Chrome trim removal on 84 Monte

Status
Not open for further replies.

edb_app

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 6, 2012
So I just bought the Monte last week and trying to do some small things like shine up the chrome ect. Does anyone know if the 2 long chrome strips on the bumpers can be removed? If so how? Also, I can see that the other chrome plates or whatever they are called can be removed but I do not want to break any trying to do so. There are metal clips holding them on but when turned doesn't seem to come off.

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    16.8 KB · Views: 1,256
  • photo(1).JPG
    photo(1).JPG
    16.6 KB · Views: 845
  • photo(2).JPG
    photo(2).JPG
    18 KB · Views: 871
  • photo(3).JPG
    photo(3).JPG
    16.2 KB · Views: 767
  • photo(4).JPG
    photo(4).JPG
    17.9 KB · Views: 980

81Regal

Royal Smart Person
Apr 5, 2009
Terril Iowa
The half round ones are stick on. The side ones on the bumper covers use a one time push on nut, be VERY carefull trying to take these off the plastic stud likes to tear off, then you have to replace the trim or use some double sided tape to hold it on. The ones on top of the rear bumper cover are held on with self tapping nut, those ussually come loose if you can reach them, the inner renforcement is in the way.

edb_app

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 6, 2012
So I'm guessing it's probably best to just leave the stick ones on until I find some new or other ones in better condition? Can you explain how the one on top of the rear bumper would come loose. I looked up self tapping nut but unsure of what I would need to do to untap it.

81Regal

Royal Smart Person
Apr 5, 2009
Terril Iowa
It will come off by using a deep socket, 10mm if I remeber correctly. 1/4" drive ratchet and a couple of extensions.
Good luck finding new pieces since thesehave been dicontinued from GM for quite a while. Try Mikes Montes or Gbodyparts.com

edb_app

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 6, 2012
not even going to bother with my old, peeling bumper trim. gbodyparts.com is Monte Carlo heaven! Thanks a lot!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor