cleanest way to run spark plug wires

Status
Not open for further replies.

BPTTONE420012

G-Body Guru
Jan 20, 2014
FAIRFIELD COUNTY, CT
i am looking to see some pics of how everyone ran their spark plug wires, and how they look... cleanest look i could find was aluminum tubing, but i dont want to go through that holy hell...

Attachments

• Small-Block.jpg
    Small-Block.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 22,266
  • Small-Block-With-KN-Aluminum-Dual-Carb-Air-Cleaner-Assembly.jpg
    Small-Block-With-KN-Aluminum-Dual-Carb-Air-Cleaner-Assembly.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 9,920

williamattop

Master Mechanic
Apr 9, 2014
Appleton WI
BPTTONE420012 said:
i am looking to see some pics of how everyone ran their spark plug wires, and how they look... cleanest look i could find was aluminum tubing, but i dont want to go through that holy hell...

WOW!!! Mind blown.
This is by far the coolest way to run wires I have ever seen.

Who ever owns this setup just won the internet IMO.

BPTTONE420012

G-Body Guru
Jan 20, 2014
FAIRFIELD COUNTY, CT
its crazy how they did it too... they used an air filter that sits over the distributor and ran the wires up INTO the air cleaner... looks killer... but, thats a whole lot more work than i wish to do to run my wires... the aluminum tubing is a pretty darn cool idea though... i think i might just sleeve my wires with the aluminum tubing, but even that seems like alot of work for a daily driver

GuysMonteSS

Royal Smart Person
May 21, 2011
Kentville,Nova Scotia,Canada
I made my own wires from Taylor 10 mm wire and ends and made the wires long enough to run in behind the engine,instead of over the valve covers the way most plug wire sets route them.Then I used Moroso looms that bolt to the valve covers,this was for my big block,but you get the idea.Heres a picture;

And heres a link to the looms,they make them for small blocks too;
http://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/m ... /overview/
I also used Taylor boot protectors for extra protection.
Guy

FE3X CLONE

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 2, 2009
Ohio
I don't know that it's the cleanest way but this is how I ran them on my 455:

Like Guy I used the cut-to-fit Taylor wires to get the lengths just right. The wire looms are from R&M Specialties:

http://www.rmspecialties.com/

You can get them through Summit Racing.

Those aluminum/stainless tube spark plug wire holders look neat but I can't really see them being practical. You'll notice that almost EVERY spark plug wire holder out there is made from some type of plastic where it contacts the actual wire. I believe some of this is due to the fact that you don't want to give the spark a chance to try and arc to a piece of metal through the wire insulation. On aftermarket wires with thicker insulation that may not be an issue, right away, but as those wires age I could see all sorts of driveability issues with having them encased the entire length in a metal tube. Not to mention the ridiculous serviceability on the things.

MrLightning

Master Mechanic
Sep 10, 2011
northeast,Ohio
Im running the same R&M specialties wire looms also, I think they do a nice job of organizing and keeping them presentable. Key is to order the custom DIY kits and cut them to fit. As for the first pic you posted with the wires running through tubes.........................id be willing to bet that's a show engine and not even in a car, let alone the fact that ill bet theres not even an actual wire running through those tubes/ simply impossible to fish a wire through those bends unless you did it when they were straight and bent the tubes to fit with wires already inside. Were that the case, youd have new tubes bent everytime you change plug wires. Also, if you notice, the ports on the heads are covered and even the flywheel is painted purple. Tends to make me believe that this is simply a motor on a stand for show, and not a good example of practical wire running. That's a beautiful engine and really a nice paint job.

online170

G-Body Guru
Oct 28, 2010
Cleanest routing for an SBC is definitely the way corvette did it. Behind the block, and below the exhaust manifolds. There are bolt holes to hold clips and retainers for this purpose already on the block.

Also a b*tch to change, but you don't do it very often.

Kwik_Cutty88

Royal Smart Person
Nov 22, 2011
Coastal North Carolina
I have Vortec head which have little holes for factory spark plug holder bracket things lol. It provides a clean look and runs all the wires behind the valve covers. Of course making up your own wires instead of buying a universal kit helps. You can kinda see it here, the wires are black.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    201 KB · Views: 1,823

BPTTONE420012

G-Body Guru
Jan 20, 2014
FAIRFIELD COUNTY, CT
i think i like how they look with them ran above the headers with the brackets coming off of the valve cover bolts... i center bolt covers, but my heads are the etec200's which are drilled for both center and perimeter bolts, so i might just drill the holes in the perimeter of my valve covers to add the brackets... i like the whole tubing idea, but metal tubing makes me nervous, might try some cpvc, heated n bent, sanded n painted, and ran into the brackets to try for an even cleaner look... but only time will tell... and THANKS EVERYONE FOR THE IDEAS N PICS

Attachments

• IMG_261667952208568.jpeg
    IMG_261667952208568.jpeg
    51.8 KB · Views: 1,480
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor