Cleaning engine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris55444

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 3, 2017
Brooklyn Park MN
Hello everybody I’m new to the forum. I Recently came across a 1987 Buick Regal Limited v6. 56k original miles. One of the valve covers still has a factory sticker on it with the date of 9/6/1987. This was a deal that i could not pass up. I need some advice, there is a lot of little pebbles on top of the engine and i have an oil leak coming from the valve covers. I believe the last owners must have must have used a dirt road . Before i spray the engine with a degreaser,what should i cover up under the hood? Any advice is appreciated. Thanks in advanced.

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
This is a pretty good video. You want to cover the alternator, distributor and the carburetor. I wouldn't get the a/c compressor soaking wet either. I like this approach.....

• Informative
Reactions: 4 users

Chris55444

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 3, 2017
Brooklyn Park MN
This is a pretty good video. You want to cover the alternator, distributor and the carburetor. I wouldn't get the a/c compressor soaking wet either. I like this approach.....
Thank you. Video is pretty good. I’m going to try it after i unclog my heater core, need heat here in Minnesota.

Reactions: 1 users

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Are you sure the heater core is clogged? You should have a heater control valve that stops the coolant flow when the heater isn't in use. It runs off of vacuum.

• Agree

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Thank you. Video is pretty good. I’m going to try it after i unclog my heater core, need heat here in Minnesota.

if it isn't the valve and you want to clean it I have used vinegar in the past to clean out the heater core on my jeep. I just removed the heater lines from the intake and water pump and back-flowed the lines with vinegar and then left the vinegar in the lines and heater core and left it for a few hours while watching a football game. No one knelt back then unless they got the wind knocked out of them...:)

• Winner
Reactions: 2 users

Wraith

Royal Smart Person
Jan 13, 2013
DFW, TX

No offense meant, but that made my head hurt, so many easier ways to do that, too labor intensive to make good sense.

• Agree

DJHull

Master Mechanic
Apr 28, 2015
Lansing, Mi
if it isn't the valve and you want to clean it I have used vinegar in the past to clean out the heater core on my jeep. I just removed the heater lines from the intake and water pump and back-flowed the lines with vinegar and then left the vinegar in the lines and heater core and left it for a few hours while watching a football game. No one knelt back then unless they got the wind knocked out of them...:)
Amen brother!

Kwik_Cutty88

Royal Smart Person
Nov 22, 2011
Coastal North Carolina
No offense meant, but that made my head hurt, so many easier ways to do that, too labor intensive to make good sense.

The good thing about stuff like this is, that everyone has a different technique, some with the same results, some with different results. I think Chris Fix is merely sharing how he did it, and the results he achieved.

• Agree

Jeff L

G-Body Guru
Nov 20, 2016
Southern AZ
6B264C76-7A22-4B47-BA1E-9FF8B0EF9074.jpeg
Keeping my engine bay clean is a bit easier in AZ because it is dry most of the time, but can still still collect dust and dirt in the air.

I normally use Simple Green to clean everything and let it dry in the sun after rinsing. Then I use a product like armorall and let that dry in the sun. It gives me a nice shine and stays nice for a long time. Been doing this since I can remember and had no issues.

There are really many ways to do the cleaning, depending on how dirty it is to begin with, and what products you might prefer over others.

Good luck.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I will say this I have never pre-cleaned an engine prior to actually cleaning it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor