Cleaning Out Engine Bay

Status
Not open for further replies.

1984CuttySupreme

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 26, 2010
Altamonte Springs, FL
I know I should've probably done this before the rebuilt motor was installed, but what all can I get rid of now that I'm using an Edelbrock carb? I have a bunch of unhooked wiring everywhere. My mechanic said he'd get rid of anything I didn't need but he didn't so now I'm stuck with a mess.

engine_6.jpg

engine_7.jpg

beermonkey9417

Royal Smart Person
Apr 8, 2007
des plaines, il
well for wiring, whtever isnt hooked up at the enginecoil it up tward the harnis and tuck it away nicely for that future lsx swap. :lol: then keep doing that till its all out of site and not messing with anything. and take yer time. it looks like you have ac but no heat, whats up with that? you gonna keep the ac? if not id say get rid off all that crap and put a ac delete plate there. someone else will come in here and straighten you out.

patmckinneyracing

Royal Smart Person
Jan 18, 2009
San Antonio, TX
God almighty that's a mess. I would agree on tearing the AC/heat and air box out of the car if it doesn't work. Take a wire brush or steel wool and knock the rust off your brake booster and paint that. You can also scrap the emissions if you still have them.

The key to all this is to sit there with a manual, and trace things out to figure out what you don't need. Wiring looks to be your biggest nightmare at the moment. Go through your hoses and shorten up if they have too much hanging around.

Next thing is to find a hack saw and cut that damn air cleaner stud down to size and find a nicer air cleaner nut. Just my 2 cents but is that eddy air cleaner lid the best one you could find?

BTW when it comes to wires, electrical tape and zip ties can be your best friend. I see those open electrical connections that should be wrapped in electrical tape. I think that is a subwoofer wire I'm seeing running along the top of the air box?

I can't tell what that whole mess of wires is behind your alternator but if you consult your manual you should be able to figure out most of the wiring.

1984CuttySupreme

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 26, 2010
Altamonte Springs, FL
I took a lot of bad advice from a crappy mechanic. Waisted a bunch of money rebuilding another V6 just to be in an even worse situation than before. I prefer to keep the AC, as it does work, just having some issues with the wiring at the moment. But you could probably guess that lol.

My mechanic promised a nice clean look after the rebuilt motor was installed and when I picked it up, this is what I was left with. Needless to say I'm not returning to his shop. For the air cleaner stud, do they sell shorter ones?

patmckinneyracing

Royal Smart Person
Jan 18, 2009
San Antonio, TX
I don't think they sell a longer stud. Most people just cut them down to size.

Please tell me you didn't pay this guy. I could have done all that in my back for free :roll:. Who rebuilt the motor? Does it run good?

1984CuttySupreme

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 26, 2010
Altamonte Springs, FL
patmckinneyracing said:
I don't think they sell a longer stud. Most people just cut them down to size.

Please tell me you didn't pay this guy. I could have done all that in my back for free :roll:. Who rebuilt the motor? Does it run good?

lol yea it runs. It idles smooth but accelerating is real sluggish. I was told if I got the correct adapter plate for the carb that it would help. I don't wanna say the name of the mechanic, he's kind of a friend. But he has a shop here in Orlando. But I've come to learn he just slaps things together. I dont even want to think about the amount of money I've spent over the years for practically nothing. I'm trying to find a better shop locally but I don't know who to take it to.

patmckinneyracing

Royal Smart Person
Jan 18, 2009
San Antonio, TX
Is the intake for a four barrel? If so, it is probably a spreadbore design for the quadrajet carb. You need the adapter plate because the edelbrock is a squarebore design.

What scares me is that your driving a car that looks like it is going to catch fire under the hood from cross connection or a short. I'm looking at the two wires that hook up to the your AC compressor and how the wires at the two connection are 4 different colors. WTF!

NAILS

Apprentice
Feb 26, 2009
THE ROCK, NY
do yourself a favor, and go back to your buddy the mechanic ( who clearly isnt your friend if hes raping you like this ) and tell him he needs to clean up the abortion he has created under that hood. and if he says no drive that car into his store front. that is unacceptable - as stated previously be another member, it is very dangerous under that hood... not only bc a handful of rigged circuits are likely to arc or short, but you have a carb ( which isnt exactly the most efficient / cleanest fuel delivery system created. some fuel splash and unprotected or exposed charged wires will surely turn that car into a barbecue.

is it me or what, if i spent an ungodly amount of money on multiple occasions with a mechanic/shop and got next to nothing back out of it... id be a little bit more upset that you are. i have a shop here on long island, and honestly... id be mortified if my coworkers or i produced work like that... its embarrassing and unacceptable. i would never let something like that out my door. how the hell do you expect to uphold a positive reputation with a loyal clientele?

**** it, or you can just gut that engine bay and throw a turn key sbc in it. gm crate motor and your good to go. apparently youve spent a lot of money already- whats another 3-4 grand

79loserbluebu

G-Body Guru
May 9, 2009
Illinois
The AC compressor wires don't look too bad... What probably happened was the stock spade terminal connector rotted or melted away, which is very common, and someone went to Autozone and got one which is mainly used for an alternator (which explains the red and white wires). Then someone used a butt (haha, butt) connector to put them together. It's probably a good connection but they could of at least made an effort to hide the connector. If you ohm one wire with a solder connection, and one with a butt (haha, again) connector, I doubt you will see a difference on the DVOM.

I think I'd have to agree with Blake though. On something like this with an oddball (no offence to anyone on here) engine, there's really only certain things you can remove so that it just stays running right. It'd be a waste of time showing off your uncluttered V6 compared to a cluttered V6.

But I'm pretty sure you can just remove or hide all of the plugs that were on the carb now that you have an Edelbrock carb, besides the choke wire.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor