Cleaning up wiring in engine compartment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MPac

Greasemonkey
Apr 5, 2012
New Carlisle, Ohio
Alright so I've gotten my engine pulled out of the 84 now I would like to clean up and remove all the extra wiring from the engine compartment and also remove the computer. Is all the wires hooked into a bulk head or what? Where is the location of the computer?

LS1GN

G-Body Guru
Aug 7, 2011
Central Florida
If you have untangled stuff and organized it, you might notice that the wiring comes out of two main spots.

If you're standing at the front of the car, to the left on the passenger side under the HVAC is a bundle of wires. I believe all of these are for the computer and EEC functions. I cut all of these and inside the car,these wires go to the computer which is located behind a small panel about where the passenger's right ankle is.

[I switched to a carburetor and aftermarket gauges, and no A/C so I needed nothing over there.]

If you're standing at the front of the car again, notice on the driver's side below the windshield wiper motor there is a plug-in type connector. I think it is actually two little connectors side-by-side. Leave these alone! These wires are for starter, horn, lights, turn signals, wipers, washer etc. etc. etc.

MPac

Greasemonkey
Apr 5, 2012
New Carlisle, Ohio
Okay thanks! Now I want to keep my A/C do I need to keep my computer since your saying the wiring goes in to it? Also there is a large ball type thing on the drivers side fenderwell that has a vaccum line in it. It's not a charcoal canister though. IF I leave the leave the wiring in on the passanger side would it be possible to cut the emission wires off and be okay?

DoubleV

Royal Smart Person
Feb 25, 2011
Medina Ohio
If you want to dump the CCC wiring and retain AC, it would require some very minor wire splicing but I'd worry about that later. Since these cars went through so many wiring changes over the years, you may not even have to worry about it.

Don't be a butcher and cut your CCC harness either. Just unbolt it from the firewall, unplug it from the ECM and underdash harness unser the glovebox, and pull it out intact.

Not sure what you mean by 'emission wires', but the round vacuum ball has nothing to do with emissions. Just leave it as is.

MPac

Greasemonkey
Apr 5, 2012
New Carlisle, Ohio
By emission wires I ment to the smog pump and such. I don't butcher I really want to clean up my engine compartment and make it look nice before I drop my 350. I have cruise control on my cutty is that what the ball could be to?

DoubleV

Royal Smart Person
Feb 25, 2011
Medina Ohio
MPac said:
I don't butcher

Yet you're putting a Chubby engine into your Olds. Anyway....

The wires for the smog pump are part of the CCC wiring harness so when you remove one you remove them both. This will clear things up considerably. Yes, the black ball is for cruise and I think it's used for the heat/AC selector controls too.

MPac

Greasemonkey
Apr 5, 2012
New Carlisle, Ohio
DoubleV said:
MPac said:
I don't butcher

Yet you're putting a Chubby engine into your Olds. Anyway....

The wires for the smog pump are part of the CCC wiring harness so when you remove one you remove them both. This will clear things up considerably. Yes, the black ball is for cruise and I think it's used for the heat/AC selector controls too.

I honestly don't see what the big deal is about a 350. Parts are considerly cheaper, better avalibilty, and stronger aftermarket support. Right now it's all I can afford to do. Evently it will get a 455. Alright so no I have the ball figured out, there was also a pink plastic vaccum line on the passenger side that runs behind the HVAC do you have an idea what it goes to?

DoubleV

Royal Smart Person
Feb 25, 2011
Medina Ohio
Sorry, but IMO Chevy engines swapped into non Chevy cars is just lame. But that's a different subject for a different time so we won't talk about that anymore.....

Don't know what pink line you're refering to. Do you mean the grey and the purple hard plastic line? If so, The grey one goes to the heater control valve and the purple one goes to a check valve on the intake behind the carb. You need to retain these.

lesbaldridge

Greasemonkey
Jan 27, 2012
its cool of you to give the guy advice on his wiring and all, but knocking someone for dropping a chevy motor in a cutlass is unneccesary. im doing the same exact thing he is. building a small block 350 to drop into my cutlass with the goal of building a big block olds motor down the road when finances allow. considering they came factory with both chevy and buick engines i dont see the problem. one of the reasons i chose to join this forum as opposed to some of the other olds forums was because of so much of that elitist attitutde you encounter on them. i say as long as the guy is building a olds and putting another G body back on the road more power to him. i personally cant stand to see them with 26" wheels or hydraulics and tiny 100 spoke daytons but i never knock people for building what they want.

MPac

Greasemonkey
Apr 5, 2012
New Carlisle, Ohio
lesbaldridge said:
its cool of you to give the guy advice on his wiring and all, but knocking someone for dropping a chevy motor in a cutlass is unneccesary. im doing the same exact thing he is. building a small block 350 to drop into my cutlass with the goal of building a big block olds motor down the road when finances allow. considering they came factory with both chevy and buick engines i dont see the problem. one of the reasons i chose to join this forum as opposed to some of the other olds forums was because of so much of that elitist attitutde you encounter on them. i say as long as the guy is building a olds and putting another G body back on the road more power to him. i personally cant stand to see them with 26" wheels or hydraulics and tiny 100 spoke daytons but i never knock people for building what they want.

Oh lord my cutlass before I bought it was airbagged with 13 inch wire rims on it. Yeah I don't understand what the big deal is about the Chevy engine is. It's still GM it's not like I'm dropping a ford or dodge in it. I bet if I dropped a Hemi in everybody would love it.

Double V- I will try to get a picture of the line for you to show you what I'm talking about.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor