Cleaning up wiring in engine compartment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

LS1GN

G-Body Guru
Aug 7, 2011
Central Florida
The "ball" is a vacuum storage IIRC - that can go to.

DO NOT PUT an Small Block Chevy in your Olds!!!!! - put an LS1 in :)

MPac

Greasemonkey
Apr 5, 2012
New Carlisle, Ohio
LS1GN said:

DO NOT PUT an Small Block Chevy in your Olds!!!!! - put an LS1 in :)

LOL I would love to put an LS1 but around where I live it's a heck of a timing finding one. So basicaly that ball is like a vaccum reserve? Will my cruise work if I take that out?

axisg

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 17, 2007
YYZ
MPac said:
By emission wires I ment to the smog pump and such. I don't butcher I really want to clean up my engine compartment and make it look nice before I drop my 350. I have cruise control on my cutty is that what the ball could be to?

2 things you are doing here

1 - the round ball on the PS attached to the heater box is the vacuum ball which is used with your HVAC. It is connected to a heater control valve which closes the passage of coolant to your heater core when the AC is engaged. In the picture below you can see I moved the ball onto the fender ( my headers melted the last one in the orig spot ). IIRC one side of the ball is hooked to Manifold vacuum, the Pink line hooks to the other side and goes into the car to your HVAC control panel, the grey line is the return which connects to the heater control valve. ( In the summer I hook the heater valve to manifold vacuum to keep it closed and help keep the car cooler ). The cruise control uses a different setup altogether which is behind the air cleaner on the DS mounted behind the carb on the intake.
04-06-09_0817.jpg

2 - the CCC system is self contained and completely stand alone. If you remove the PS front tire, the PS wheelwell, and the PS kick panel you will see the harness comes through the hole in the firewall at the lowest point on the PS. I removed the plug from the computer and pulled it ( and the grommet ) thru into the engine bay and then removed all the sensors attached. In the picture below you can see the 12v+ lead for the amplifiers and the plugs for the ccc computer hanging on the RH side.
The computer handles your lock-up function in the trans so you will need to replace it with a lockup switch of your choice. The CCC system has nothing to do with the Crusie Control, HVAC or anything else so you should lose no function when you remove it ( other than lockup ).
** As a sidenote if you remove the CCC harness you need to replace that grommet and seal it up really well to prevent water leaking out of the HVAC box and into your car. In my case I reused the grommet to house the heavy power lead from the battery to the amps in my trunk.
05-05-09_1052.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: 1 user

DoubleV

Royal Smart Person
Feb 25, 2011
Medina Ohio
LS1GN said:

GM seemed to change around where these things were mounted and maybe even how they were configured too. My vacuum ball is located on the drivers side fender well and I know for sure it's used for the cruise control.

MrLightning

Master Mechanic
Sep 10, 2011
northeast,Ohio
my 86 cutlass supreme has two.............one on the drivers side fender well by the brake booster and one thats on the passengers side front radiator support area behind the headlights, and it came that way factory.

MPac

Greasemonkey
Apr 5, 2012
New Carlisle, Ohio
Mine is on the drivers side wheel well. For the life of me I can't remember if there is one on the passanger side or not.

buick7332

Master Mechanic
Oct 21, 2014
N.E. Philadelphia area
Oh lord my cutlass before I bought it was airbagged with 13 inch wire rims on it. Yeah I don't understand what the big deal is about the Chevy engine is. It's still GM it's not like I'm dropping a ford or dodge in it. I bet if I dropped a Hemi in everybody would love it.

Double V- I will try to get a picture of the line for you to show you what I'm talking about.
I just removed the ECM harness on my 82 GP. Under the A/C box on the firewall the harness has a rubber boot that is screwed to the firewall. To get to it you have to remove the inner fenderwell. That is not easy, there are 3 bolts that are almost impossible to get to without removing the fender itself. What I did was remove the glovebox and the kickpanel. The computer is behind it. Unplug everything, remove the computer, and peel back the carpet. You will see the harness coming through the firewall. I used a utility knife and carefully cut the boot around the perimeter of the hole freeing it up. I carefully pulled the harness up through the engine compartment. Back inside I cut the 2 screws that held the boot with a dremel and cutoff wheel, fabed a sheet metal cover plate and covered the hole( I used 2 sheet metal screws and silicon gasket sealer. Thats as far as I got. Good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor