clearance on g body brakes

Status
Not open for further replies.

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
Just so as you know, stock gbody rotor was less than 11 inches. Clocked in at 10.5. So that's why your stock calipers wouldn't clear it, and why your pads/caliper sat further out than stock in the front too.

In case you're wondering why they worked in front and not in rear still

Built6spdMCSS

Geezer
Jun 15, 2012
Florida Beach
That looks like a much lower profile than what I have. It sounds like that’s what I’m going to have to make work on mine
Just snapped this right now, you can see how much room with a 17" wheel, can put my whole hand in there.

Plenty of room with a 15" wheel.

20230310_173324.jpg

Reactions: 1 user

thfleshman

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 7, 2023
Just so as you know, stock gbody rotor was less than 11 inches. Clocked in at 10.5. So that's why your stock calipers wouldn't clear it, and why your pads sat further out than stock.
I have ran 11” rotors on my dirt cars both front and rear that utalize G body brake calipers for years. Even on stock front spindles. The pads actually sit really good on the rotors and the bracket is made for an 11” rotor. I see what you are saying though, if they made a bracket and rotor at the stock 10.5” size, it would definatly give me the clearance.

Built6spdMCSS

Geezer
Jun 15, 2012
Florida Beach
I have ran 11” rotors on my dirt cars both front and rear that utalize G body brake calipers for years. Even on stock front spindles. The pads actually sit really good on the rotors and the bracket is made for an 11” rotor. I see what you are saying though, if they made a bracket and rotor at the stock 10.5” size, it would definatly give me the clearance.
You mentioned that 10.5" numbers a few posts ago, those LT1 Fbody Rear Disc are 11.5" Rotors, and here's the Weld Wheels on my SS with them same LT1 Rear Disc Brakes back when I used to throw down on the track..

RACE READY.JPG

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
Exactly. You can have that thicker caliper body when you've got a lesser width rotor and they wind up configured to tuck closer in.

The other thing about the dirt track car experience you're referencing is that different wheels have the barrel of the rim tapered differently. Some are stepped to the centerline (generally newer wheels) giving more clearance, others are sloped (generally older wheels), giving less clearance and more potential for issues.

Then there's more that have thicker wall vs thinner wall, offsets and backspacing... that's why the old rule of 4" bigger than your rotor for clearance comes into question right along the borderline. Some brands and styles fit better than others when you're close.

It's also why a simple Google search of will xyz wheels clear xys brakes gives conflicting answers for identical rotor and wheel sizes... because the over variables weren't the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor