Cloyes vs Milodon vs other timing chains

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
It doesn't seem like with Oldsmobiles there's any problems with additional chain width as opposed to other engines, like SBC's where you would need an aftermarket timing cover for clearance?
The only interference I have seen anyone have is either an aftermarket cover or some double roller timing chains have had rubbing issues with the oil slinger. If you are going to just line up the dots and not degree the cam, which you should, that set Turna posted along with the water pump should work fine and save a few dollars. You are planning the vin 9 cam and stock rebuild otherwise? I would get a bowl hog done on the heads, mill them maybe .020" and 1.87/1.56 350 valves, if I was replacing valves anyway. Little improvements can go a long way. You should be around 200 hp with the shorty headers and true dual exhaust, which is vast improvement for a swirl port 307. Also make sure the secondary is opening all the way and maybe go richer on the secondary rods.

kustomkyle

G-Body Guru
Apr 14, 2008
The only interference I have seen anyone have is either an aftermarket cover or some double roller timing chains have had rubbing issues with the oil slinger. If you are going to just line up the dots and not degree the cam, which you should, that set Turna posted along with the water pump should work fine and save a few dollars. You are planning the vin 9 cam and stock rebuild otherwise? I would get a bowl hog done on the heads, mill them maybe .020" and 1.87/1.56 350 valves, if I was replacing valves anyway. Little improvements can go a long way. You should be around 200 hp with the shorty headers and true dual exhaust, which is vast improvement for a swirl port 307. Also make sure the secondary is opening all the way and maybe go richer on the secondary rods.

Those are the surprises I want to avoid. It just looks like with an Oldsmobile, the chain and sprockets are set into the block more so than other engines. In a picture.

Never had it apart to know. Was looking to use a double roller, but the stock replacement is cheaper and easier to get. Just wanted the engine to stay healthy for a long time.

lilbowtie

Comic Book Super Hero
Jan 7, 2006
Canton Mi
, the stock replacement is cheaper and easier to get. Just wanted the engine to stay healthy for a long time.

The old one lasted this long, I wouldn't hesitate on a stock engine. On the other hand I stretched the crap out of a double roller in one season of racing - billet cured that.

David.C

Greasemonkey
Sep 6, 2012
If you have the scratch... This is the way to go!!!

PhhCs6l.jpg

• Winner
Reactions: 2 users
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Looks like a timing belt? I obviously wouldn't do it on a 307 Olds, but what is the advantage of using one of those setups?
Nothing but added expense. Don't get the Comp cam set, a member on Classic Olds had issues degreeing one, supposedly they have accuracy issues. Either go with the cheap Sealed Power set or the Cloyes Billet double roller timing set.

Last edited:

kustomkyle

G-Body Guru
Apr 14, 2008
Nothing but added expense. Don't get the Comp cam set, a member on Classic Olds had issues degreeing one, supposedly they have accuracy issues. Either go with the chesp Sealed Power set or the Cloyes Billet double roller timing set.

Yep, was looking at the Comp set first, but read bad reviews. The one review went on to say the Milodon was then purchased after returning the Comp set, and was a true double roller of good quality.

Still really thinking about the Milodon, may call them to see if there is any interference issues with stock parts (timing cover, oil slinger). If they're honest about it.

Otherwise I already have an SA Gear set purchased years ago, but I've read about misalignment issues and don't plan on using it. I have a Cloyes/Sealed Power stock replacement on reserve that I haven't purchased yet.

Nov 4, 2012
The timing set going into my Buick 350 is from iwis. It's a 9 keyway billet double roller.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor