Cluster repair part two

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeftLaneOnly

Master Mechanic
Mar 20, 2020
I had two clusters to work with and used the one with the best connections on the back board. I cleaned up all the connections squeezed all the pinch clips and added working bulbs with all connecting tabs bent up a little. I Put a wire across the tach v8 leads then swapped gauges till I had good tach yay. Good gas gage temp gage volts. BUT no oil pressure. Both clusters pegged the oil pressure to read full all the way to the right. Also when I put the lights on it freezes the tach needle in place that may be a broken trace on one of the light connection that has a bulb in it. I will try it with this bulb out next

JAMES L EUBANK

Apprentice
Feb 18, 2018
CLARKSBURG, WV
I had two clusters to work with and used the one with the best connections on the back board. I cleaned up all the connections squeezed all the pinch clips and added working bulbs with all connecting tabs bent up a little. I Put a wire across the tach v8 leads then swapped gauges till I had good tach yay. Good gas gage temp gage volts. BUT no oil pressure. Both clusters pegged the oil pressure to read full all the way to the right. Also when I put the lights on it freezes the tach needle in place that may be a broken trace on one of the light connection that has a bulb in it. I will try it with this bulb out next
I have an oil gauge that maxes out after engine warms up. Dont know why it does that but I verified oil pressure with a manual gauge to be sure. Oil pressure is fine so the gauge or board must be faulty. Let me know if you find a fix.

Reactions: 1 user

57 Handyman

Master Mechanic
Feb 6, 2017
When you come right down to it, the original parts on our classic rides are OLD and finicky! When I switched from idiot lights to full gauges on my 87, I initially planned to use the original printed circuits. However, as I fiddled with the gauge pod doing circuit tracing, the choices became obvious: removing/replacing the printed circuit would be easiest but cost a few bucks versus finding and correcting breaks in the traces difficult and time consuming. Thus, my recommendation is to bite the bullet and replace the printed circuit on the back of the gauge pod. While it will not eliminate and resolve issues with the performance of old gauges, it is one less major headache with which you need to deal with.

FYI, there are various replacement printed circuit board versions, so be sure you get the right one. I purchased my replacement from OPGI for less that $100 which to me made it well worth the expense.

Good luck!

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor