Code 43 - 1988 Monte SS

Status
Not open for further replies.

1988SS

Apprentice
May 9, 2020
1988 SS with 350...all the CCC etc still intact so basically stock other than the 350.

Every once a while....under hard acceleration. I will get a Code 43 (The ESC retard signal has been on for too long or the system has failed a functional test).

Actually it hasn't thrown the code in quite awhile, but today I had the AC on and I put the pedal down...and the check engine light came on (hate that dang thing). Car goes into a limp home mode until you shut it down and start it again.

Any suggestions or thoughts (besides removing the computer).

Thanks,
Darron

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
Check for low voltage to ESC module, open from ESC module to ECM, grounds, overly sensitive knock sensor, excessive engine knocking, noise in ESC signal wire, etc. Are you using the 305 ESC module and knock sensor or didvyou switch to 350 versions? Both the sensor and module should be matched. No mixing 305 modules with 350 knock sensors or vise versa. If your engine is knocking alot, it will trip the ECM. The computer will only work right on a engine that runs right.

1988SS

Apprentice
May 9, 2020
Thanks for the input.

Car runs good....no audible knocking that I can hear myself.

I have changed to the 350 ESC module. I'm pretty sure the knock sensor is 350 but can't be 100% sure since I didn't install myself....might put a new one on to eliminate that as a possibility.

1988SS

Apprentice
May 9, 2020
Can anyone confirm the GM Part number for a 350 knock sensor that would work in my application?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor