Coilover vs Standard spring/shock set up-Discuss?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mr evil

Aug 4, 2009
Sooke, BC, Canada
So, I was perusing Umi's website and came across the QA-1 coil over set ups. Other than price, what are some pros/cons of such a system? Anybody have a coilover set up?

rustyroger

G-Body Guru
Mar 14, 2007
Margate, UK>
Coilovers put more load on the shock mountings.
New springs are a breeze to fit on a Gbody.

Coilovers look good and some can be easily adjusted.

If you are looking to coilovers as a means of backing up tired springs I'd simply replace the springs.
If you are using your car on the track that's a different matter altogether.

Roger.

GhettoRacingKid

G-Body Guru
Jul 15, 2010
+1 to roger

IIRC there is a lot of weight to be lost from the stock set up vs coil over. A lot to do with launching the car blah blah blah...

I am going with the coil over set up in the front when the funds allow it. but my car will only really be seeing track time. not much street driving.

suspension is a science. most of it all comes down to what your doing, what you want to do and how your going to drive it.

UMI Performance

Master Mechanic
GBodyForum Sponsor
Jul 9, 2011
Philipsburg, Pa
With a QA1 coil over kit you can save 10lbs of front end weight.

The single adjustable coil over kits feature 18 shock adjustments and height adjustment with spring rate choices.

Like mentioned the kits work nice for race applications but also work well on the street, many people select them just because of the ability to change front end height. The downfall is price, to get the spanner wrench and bearing kit you are around $500 for a kit.

What type of driving do you do with this car? Are you looking for a lowered look or just new springs?

mr evil

Aug 4, 2009
Sooke, BC, Canada
UMI Performance said:
With a QA1 coil over kit you can save 10lbs of front end weight.

The single adjustable coil over kits feature 18 shock adjustments and height adjustment with spring rate choices.

Like mentioned the kits work nice for race applications but also work well on the street, many people select them just because of the ability to change front end height. The downfall is price, to get the spanner wrench and bearing kit you are around $500 for a kit.

What type of driving do you do with this car? Are you looking for a lowered look or just new springs?

Both actually. The car is unlikely to see any kind of track time, but I'd like a smooth ride without all the roll. Don't want to be swapping springs/shocks in and out trying to find just the right combo. Figuring time saved might be worth the extra bux.

I put 5660s in my last car and they really tightened it up, but left the car a little high in the front with all the aluminum on the motor, and it felt a little like a truck.

rustyroger

G-Body Guru
Mar 14, 2007
Margate, UK>
GhettoRacingKid said:
suspension is a science. most of it all comes down to what your doing, what you want to do and how your going to drive it.

Absolutely.
The cars designers had to factor in a lot of concerns right from the drawing board, ride quality, handling and roadholding and production costs being the main ones.

Top level race car crews speng lots of time and money setting their cars suspension to suit the particular conditions of the track they are at.

It's your car and you may have different priorities to the manufacturers, trading comfort for grip or good launching for example, but to move from the oem spec will always hit your pockets, the more radical your departure the harder it will be hit.

Roger.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor