MALIBU Cold case fan/fans

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dezimade

Greasemonkey
Sep 22, 2021
Boston Ma.
Hi guys looking to put a electric fan on the cold case . 80-87 G-BODY ALUMINUM PERFORMANCE RADIATOR

I have all intentions of diving in hot conditions. 100° or over.

Anybody have an experience with this .
That can share the necessary parts while she’s a part . Thanks Dez

57 Handyman

Master Mechanic
Feb 6, 2017
I do not have a Cold Case radiator but one from Mishimoto in my 87 El Camino. When I converted to efans, I elected to find a stock GM setup rather than an aftermarket. You should also and check around for a 4th Gen Camaro efan as a less expensive option. I lucked out when a friend gave me his from a 2000 Camaro he was trashing. After removing the clutch fan, all that was required to install shroud with dual fans were two 2 x 3 in strips of metal with bolts to keep the lower section in place. On top, a stock radiator cover fit nicely. For powering the dual fans, I opted for a Painless dual fan relay wiring circuit with 2 relays that will kick on the fans when engine temp reaches 185 degrees F and the AC clutch engages.

Reactions: 1 user

Dezimade

Greasemonkey
Sep 22, 2021
Boston Ma.
I do not have a Cold Case radiator but one from Mishimoto in my 87 El Camino. When I converted to efans, I elected to find a stock GM setup rather than an aftermarket. You should also and check around for a 4th Gen Camaro efan as a less expensive option. I lucked out when a friend gave me his from a 2000 Camaro he was trashing. After removing the clutch fan, all that was required to install shroud with dual fans were two 2 x 3 in strips of metal with bolts to keep the lower section in place. On top, a stock radiator cover fit nicely. For powering the dual fans, I opted for a Painless dual fan relay wiring circuit with 2 relays that will kick on the fans when engine temp reaches 185 degrees F and the AC clutch engages.

Great info. I totally will consider. Thanks Dez

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY

This fan had a bunch of positive reviews and none negative that I could find anywhere. I really struggled with overheating in late spring after swapping core supports and a kajillion other winter modifications. I have a dual Spal setup with an 8" and 16" fan that had worked properly in the past. The 16" Spal gave up at some point and I hunted for a fan. I really wanted a brushless setup, but OMC $300-400 was a Letterkenny hard no. I ended up settling on the the Flex-A-Lite that I linked and OMG what a fan. And I'm not using the phrase 'settling on the Flex-A-Lite' lightly. That thing was $150 and it is EXTREMELY atypical of me to drop more than Benjamin on anything, especially on an impulse buy.

But I'm happy I didn't follow my usual guideline of being cheap haha. When this fan turns on in the driveway if I put my hand under the car, when sitting in the driver seat with the door open, it will raise the temp by 50+ degrees and there is a stiff, hot breeze coming from under the car. It resolved all of my city driving issues. It will keep the car below 210 by itself and with the small 8" Spal it won't see 204. They have been cycling off when city driving, which was unheard of in the past.

To some 205-210 may seem hot, but I want the motor at 200 and don't ever want it below 190.

The only thing that got me with it is my old Spal worked on a 20 amp fuse. This needs a 30 - ask me how I know.

Reactions: 1 users

Dezimade

Greasemonkey
Sep 22, 2021
Boston Ma.

This fan had a bunch of positive reviews and none negative that I could find anywhere. I really struggled with overheating in late spring after swapping core supports and a kajillion other winter modifications. I have a dual Spal setup with an 8" and 16" fan that had worked properly in the past. The 16" Spal gave up at some point and I hunted for a fan. I really wanted a brushless setup, but OMC $300-400 was a Letterkenny hard no. I ended up settling on the the Flex-A-Lite that I linked and OMG what a fan. And I'm not using the phrase 'settling on the Flex-A-Lite' lightly. That thing was $150 and it is EXTREMELY atypical of me to drop more than Benjamin on anything, especially on an impulse buy.

But I'm happy I didn't follow my usual guideline of being cheap haha. When this fan turns on in the driveway if I put my hand under the car, when sitting in the driver seat with the door open, it will raise the temp by 50+ degrees and there is a stiff, hot breeze coming from under the car. It resolved all of my city driving issues. It will keep the car below 210 by itself and with the small 8" Spal it won't see 204. They have been cycling off when city driving, which was unheard of in the past.

To some 205-210 may seem hot, but I want the motor at 200 and don't ever want it below 190.

The only thing that got me with it is my old Spal worked on a 20 amp fuse. This needs a 30 - ask me how I know.
He great advice. Thank you so much. Dez

abbey castro

Royal Smart Person
Oct 31, 2015
Harker Hts TX
I'm using the Chrysler Sebring fans on the original HD radiator. The fans shroud fits perfectly end to end as well as height thus sealing well against the radiator. Keeps me at 190 even at 100 outside temp here in TX.

Attachments

• Fans Final1.jpg
    Fans Final1.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 92
  • SebringDualFans.jpg
    SebringDualFans.jpg
    369.3 KB · Views: 96
Reactions: 2 users

Dezimade

Greasemonkey
Sep 22, 2021
Boston Ma.
I'm using the Chrysler Sebring fans on the original HD radiator. The fans shroud fits perfectly end to end as well as height thus sealing well against the radiator. Keeps me at 190 even at 100 outside temp here in TX.
Hey thanks for the share. I will look into a set up like this. Looks good! Dez

abbey castro

Royal Smart Person
Oct 31, 2015
Harker Hts TX
It is a perfect fit both size wise and depth. There is plenty of room between the fans and the engine accy belts. Wiring kit with wires, relays and 30-amp CB are online everywhere. I used the space between the lights and the battery (wall) to secure the plate I made for the relays. Used the factory lower mounting holes to hold the fans in place. The upper metal cover I got on-line.

Attachments

• IMG_20191226_180325744.jpg
    IMG_20191226_180325744.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 91
  • Fan6.jpg
    Fan6.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 90
  • Fan7.jpg
    Fan7.jpg
    136.3 KB · Views: 96
  • Fans Lower View (1).jpg
    Fans Lower View (1).jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 92
  • 20220126_184207.jpg
    20220126_184207.jpg
    400.8 KB · Views: 96
Reactions: 2 users

rogue_ryder

Master Mechanic
Oct 27, 2017
Colorado
Hi guys looking to put a electric fan on the cold case . 80-87 G-BODY ALUMINUM PERFORMANCE RADIATOR

I have all intentions of diving in hot conditions. 100° or over.

Anybody have an experience with this .
That can share the necessary parts while she’s a part . Thanks Dez

Cold Case fans are ABSOLUTE garbage. The issue is the CFM Rating for the fan is completely off base; electrically they work but they don't pull enough air. The difference between the stock clutch fan and the cold case fans is about 30*F! That's back to back runs on the same commute and same temps. Either get Spal fans or rig up something like the Taurus, Intrepid or other fan setup that can flow the adequate amount of air. Look at the Amperage of the Cold Case fan motor and the Amperage of a SPAL Fan motor of the same CFM rating, the Spal fans will have something like double the amps for the same advertised CFM rating.

The Relays and thermoswitch setup is also hard on 12si alternator, you're better off using a PWM fan controller as it isn't a hard on/off but a gradual startup and shut down off the fans.

The Cold Case Radiator is really good for the money although not quite a direct fit.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor