Cold Case Radiator Failure - Update

Status
Not open for further replies.

g0thiac

G-Body Guru
Sep 6, 2020
So whats a good alternative? Thinking about a new radiator but also want electric fans too.

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
SO, I guess I should NOT go with Cold Case for now both the '70 and '88. I am putting the '88 back together now that it has cooled off here. I need a good radiator for the 455 in the '88. And I will also need a good rad for the 455 that will be in the '70...
Do some trimming to fit the A body radiator in your G body. I went for this one. Unfortunately I won't test it till Summer. It looks really nice and had good reviews on EBay.

Reactions: 1 users

oldsofb

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Dec 7, 2007
Maryland
Not for nothing, but everything is in short supply these days. I bought a Cold Case Rad and it took months to get it to me.

The lack of communication (however that went down) should be addressed, but it sounded like they were legit going to swap out a 2 year old rad for the $40 shipping fee.

Sounds like they're trying to do the right thing. Maybe there's none in stock. I ordered a Milodon Windage tray for my 455 in JUNE. Still on backorder. I blame the COOF!

Hutch

Dezimade

Greasemonkey
Sep 22, 2021
Boston Ma.
Why don't you give us a call first before looking elsewhere? There are options for you so the car is not 'down'
And it's nowhere near $60 each way, so don't let that deter you either. Call and one of the guys should be able to help. Just have a copy of your receipt handy
Hi Eric. My name is Dez. Picked up this radiator put it in. Need a electric fan.
Any recommendations as I will be in hot terrain Thanks man 267 stock. Small block.

rogue_ryder

Master Mechanic
Oct 27, 2017
Colorado
Hi Eric. My name is Dez. Picked up this radiator put it in. Need a electric fan.
Any recommendations as I will be in hot terrain Thanks man 267 stock. Small block.

Something like this setup:
or rig up junkyard intrepid of taurus fans (lotta how tos on here).

Whatever you do don't use the Cold Case fans, they don't pull near enough CFM. Take a look at SPAL fans rated similarly to the Cold Case fans, you'll see simlar CFM ratings for both but when you look closer at the specs the Amperage draw of the SPAL fans is about DOUBLE the fans from Cold Case and they pull the actual advertised CFM when mounted as designed. I ended up swapping back to the stock clutch fan and stock shroud and my car runs about 20-25 degrees cooler than with the cold case shroud and dual fans. I have an Olds 350 in my car and I normally am running around @ 160F or less only see 170s when speeding up mountain passes. I'm planning on bolting the SPAL fans to the Cold Case shrouds when I swap this 350 for another I'm working on that'll have higher compression.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor