Colonnade chassis, better than a G?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Interesting read on the 3rd gen A body chassis design. Makes me wonder how much better our generation would of handled if they didn't shrink it down. Kinda adds to my running theory our cars could of been bigger & closer to the Colonnade cars in overall design if it wasn't for the gas crunch in the '70's.

Reactions: 1 user

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
The silhouette below of a 1973 Grand Am, I had one of these when I was younger and they handled very well from the factory and the rear wheel wells would swallow a 30" tall slick on a 10" rim without any mods. I would still like to find another one someday.
Also I believe this was the first year of the "Radial Tuned Suspension"
Mine had a 400, 4 barrel dual exhaust and a 355 posi.
1973-Grand-Am-cutaway.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users

gnvair

Royal Smart Person
Sep 1, 2018
Southern New Jersey near Philly
The 73-77 A body chassis was recycled into the down sized 77-96 B bodies. It didn't go away. The general just put different bodies on them and reclassified them as fullsize cars.

Local Hero

G-Body Guru
Nov 24, 2016
Northcoast, Cleveland, Ohio
I've had both a 77 Monte and a 77 Grand Prix as dailies even as recently as 6 years ago. My wagon replaced the GP. There is no comparison. The GP was light years better in ride and handling even with the exact same wheels and tires that are on the wagon in my avatar pic. A bonus was that it was a beast in the snow too even without snow tires. If I can find an affordable full-size wagon from the 90s like a Caprice or Roadmaster, my G wagon would be gone. The problem is the word "affordable." People want gold for even a clapped out one of them.
5. finished PS.jpg
8. April 2005 Snowstorm2.jpg

Reactions: 2 users

PBGBodyFan

G-Body Guru
Mar 3, 2009
Wisconsin
I've never heard anyone say the 73-77 chassis is better, hearing that makes me do one of these:

family guy brian GIF

Not saying it's worse but it's the same basic design for the body on frame GM's. And "better" is pretty subjective, comfort vs handling usually involve trade offs to some degree.

If I can find an affordable full-size wagon from the 90s like a Caprice or Roadmaster, my G wagon would be gone. The problem is the word "affordable." People want gold for even a clapped out one of them.

How much are 90's b-body wagons going for? I've seen quite a few in recent years in yards that aren't totaled just worn, maybe some hidden rust issues. Seems like a waste and am sure there is a decent market for them, would assume if they are bringing in good money that wouldn't happen too often. Due to prices (partly) g-bodies have gotten much more scarce in yards here in just the last 2-3 years alone.

My wagon handles really well, was smooth and cushy enough when it was bone stock, now on par with my Monte's handling wise due to the suspension put on but it has squeeks/rattles in the back the coupes don't have. A minor annoyance I assume is common with g-body wagons since there is so much more stuff back there. Never got around to chasing down the sounds.

scoti

Royal Smart Person
Sep 5, 2019
Texas
I've never heard anyone say the 73-77 chassis is better, hearing that makes me do one of these:

family guy brian GIF

Not saying it's worse but it's the same basic design for the body on frame GM's. And "better" is pretty subjective, comfort vs handling usually involve trade offs to some degree.

How much are 90's b-body wagons going for? I've seen quite a few in recent years in yards that aren't totaled just worn, maybe some hidden rust issues. Seems like a waste and am sure there is a decent market for them, would assume if they are bringing in good money that wouldn't happen too often. Due to prices (partly) g-bodies have gotten much more scarce in yards here in just the last 2-3 years alone.

My wagon handles really well, was smooth and cushy enough when it was bone stock, now on par with my Monte's handling wise due to the suspension put on but it has squeeks/rattles in the back the coupes don't have. A minor annoyance I assume is common with g-body wagons since there is so much more stuff back there. Never got around to chasing down the sounds.
I would agree 100% w/this logic. The Metric chassis is the same basic layout/suspension type albeit made in a lighter duty scaling
Same ladder style frame w/similar x-member/bracing & body mount placement between the two as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Yeah, supposedly they handled well. Our family had a 75 Cutlass 4 door, the 350 Rocket and Red plush interior were the best parts, the TH350 went up in smoke. Like the 77 to 96 big cars that replaced them, they were, well big with the awful 70's big crash bumpers and choked motors. Their styling was meh and they just don't have much value even today. No doubt to due to the size, styling and gutless power plants factory under the hood powering over weight cars. They were the best of the worst, Ford and Dodge were terrible cars in comparison for those years.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I think one aspect of them handling better from the factory compared to an equally equipped Gbody IMO is the increased track width of 3.4 inches with 4 inch longer wheel base

• Agree
Reactions: 4 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor