column loose

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cutty1

Master Mechanic
Nov 29, 2008
metro detroit
anyone on here make a sticky on how to get to the bolts and reloc tight them my steering column moves up and down and i turn and it very irritating

beermonkey9417

Royal Smart Person
Apr 8, 2007
des plaines, il
under the steering column theres a plate held in by 4 screws, under there is a bracket that has 2 bolts that hold up the column. get some lock tight and tighten them up and youll be good. when i bought my elky 1 bolt was loose and the other was missing. so i was looking around on the floor and found the other bolt, or was it a nut, i cant remember ,but you get the jist...i tightened them down and now the column doesnt move around anymore. good luck!

jmt455

Master Mechanic
Jun 26, 2011
SE Michigan
Tilt columns loosen up and need to be serviced with Loc-Tite on the 4 screws that cause this condition.

Excellent write-up here: http://www.superchevy.com/tech/sucp_0707_tilt_steering_column/index.html

Most steering column repair places will charge $150 for this repair.
With a couple of hours (at the most!) and the proper tools, it will cost you less than $15 to BUY the pivot pin tool and some loc-tite.

Check around; many auto parts places will lend you the steering wheel puller/lock plate removal tool and the pivot pin pullers for FREE.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor