Column shift linkage question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buford T. JuSStice

Master Mechanic
Aug 16, 2010
Are you having a linkage operation issue or a starting issue?
Starter motor teeth gnashing is not caused by shifter linkage or neutral switch issues.

fyi, our cars don't use a neutral switch, its a mechanical interlock inside the column.

If you trans is in park and your able to turn the ignition key, your shift linkage should be set correctly.
If the interlock is in the column, then physically it still has nothing to do with whether or not the actual transmission is in park or reverse or neutral. Imagine for a second you disconnect your linkage from the transmission, and shift the transmission into any gear by hand, and then rest the linkage somewhere in such a way that it maintains the column shifter in the "park" position. Then try starting it.

That's what my problem essentially is. The linkage down at the transmission is slightly off angle causing the transmission to be in a gear OTHER than park when the shifter itself is. It's essentially the same difference as being in OD instead of being in Neutral when your shift indicator says you're in Neutral. Does that make sense?

hoffa65

Master Mechanic
Mar 11, 2019
Atlanta GA
I have an 87 SS that has a 700r4 conversion with a column shifter and the original linkage from the 2004r and it works well

I also have another 87 SS that still has the original 2004r trans in it, I'm using an F-body Hurst Dual Gate 4 speed shifter (for the 700r4) with the 2004r along with the stock column linkage and it also works without issues.

The adjustment is critical and very touchy, takes a bit to get it just right. I put the trans and shifter in R and push up slightly on the linkage rod and tighten the lock down bolt, you might get lucky the first time but it took me 3 tries to get it just right

thumbnail_20190305_234030.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor