Column shift mod with a new overdrive trans -options please

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cuse99

Master Mechanic
Dec 21, 2020
I found a good trans shop in NJ (from a previous thread) and I'm on board for a new 700R4 trans swap. I have a column shifter. The basics like trans, TV, crossmember, drive shaft are all easy to pick out. Its all been done before. One thing I can't find is if there are any mods I can do to my speedometer so that I can properly set the needle into the proper gear. My current set up does not have overdrive so I have P,R,D,2,1.
Is there a mod or speedo from another car I can swap so that when I get the new trans the needle will point to the right gear? It would bother me to have the needle pointed to D when in overdrive etc.

O. D. Showtime

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 6, 2009
Regina Sask. Canada
Which Gbody are you working with?

O. D. Showtime

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 6, 2009
Regina Sask. Canada
They made an OD plate to install on the speedo for the cars that got OD.

20191121_190824.jpg

Sold a couple but I think I still have one here.

Reactions: 4 users

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
The indicator does not care where the pointer is. It's spring-loaded and attached to the shift collar with a cable and clip - 'this one goes to eleven' a la Spinal Tap. The linkage itself won't limit you from going all the way down to 1st gear if everything is adjusted right. I drove for years with D-2-1.

Reactions: 1 user

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
There is a white chunk on the top of the column that I think is a combination reverse light and neutral safety switch. I forget exactly, but there is a tab you push in and you can slide it against the teeth slightly to either side to make a fine adjustment when the backup light switch will engage. You can drop the column to get better access by taking off the vent plate under the column and removing the two 15mm nuts that straddle the column.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 5 users

O. D. Showtime

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 6, 2009
Regina Sask. Canada
Thanks for sharing. What does it look like on the car?

I'm sure I have a pic of a cluster on my computer....however it took a dump awhile back and I haven't tended to it. I'm sure I've got a plate, and I know I have a speedo so I'll try get you a pic of the OD plate on a speedo tonight.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor