Column Shift options for 700r4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Westbank of NOLA

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 31, 2014
New Orleans
After swapping to a 700r4 transmission, I'm currently having issue with the column shift operating the gear selection. The selector says its in Park, but its actually in Reverse.... and so on. I fiddled with the linkage to adjust it to park but I still can't get it into park from the column. I was looking at Jegs website and they have a few options

http://www.jegs.com/i/Lokar/625/ACA-1800/10002/-1

http://www.jegs.com/i/Flaming+River/898/FR20059/10002/-1

Has anyone used either of these to match the 700r4 to the column selector, or maybe there is a junkyard linkage swap y'all could recommend.

Thanks

455'ed80Regal

Master Mechanic
Nov 3, 2010
Lincoln, MO
Maybe someone with more knowledge will chime in, but I was always under the impression that the detents for the 2004r and 700r4 were the same. Maybe try putting the trans in neutral and the column in neutral and tighten everything up and see if that works. Might have to tweak the adjustment one way or the other a bit but should work.

pencero

Royal Smart Person
Feb 20, 2008
Ind.
The gear selector / detents work in my 88 Cutlass but did not work in any of the other 3 g-bodys, 2 blazers, nor the Cadillac I owned. It's a common GM problem I learned to live with and never bothered me. I will be irritated when I'm sure just like all my other older gm cars the gear selector most likely doesn't work 1 day on the cutty either.. but it's one of those irritating things that's finnicky to fix once the teeth are dull from years of wear..

Fastmax32168

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 18, 2011
I used the stock linkage on my Malibu wagon when i put in my 700R4. It has to be adjusted just perfect in order to operate the transmission, but once I got mine adjusted properly it has been that way for years now. As far as the indicator on the dash I installed one out of a Monte SS and it lines up fairly well now.
Roy

Westbank of NOLA

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 31, 2014
New Orleans
Thanks.

I have adjusted that nut that holds the vertical bar to the linkage a few time. Still no dice, the only thing that seems off is the horizontal bar that connects to the transmission gearshift. Its flopping all over the place. Just in case, I'm going see if I can replace that linkage spring. maybe its giving the linkage connection point to much flex room to shift properly.

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
Make sure there is a white plastic donut in the bracket on the frame. That is a bushing that holds the bar in position and lets it rotate. The bar has a washer welded a little bit back from the bracket. A spring goes between the washer and this donut. If these parts are missing, the shift lever won't have enough force to move the detent properly in the transmission. The same parts are in almost every RWD GM car if you need to find replacements at the parts yard.

If the problem is just the indicator, maybe your gear indicator has slipped. If you are willing to take the cover off your instrument cluster, look down to the steering column. The indicator is a plastic pointer that slides back and forth and connects via a thin cable to a fanged clip that attaches to the plastic bowl in the column that rotates when you move the shift lever. You can adjust where it clips on and epoxy it if it remains loose. You can't see it when the panel is back on. I had a 700-R4 in my wagon, and I just had one more click below '1'. The linkage does not care. The detents in transmission control the position of the lever and indicator. You may need to make some adjustments in the clamp and bolt that connects the rod to the trans lever. After all these years, some Loctite may be helpful to keep the bolt tight.

Last edited:

Westbank of NOLA

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 31, 2014
New Orleans
Make sure there is a white plastic donut in the bracket on the frame. That is a bushing that holds the bar in position and lets it rotate. The bar has a washer welded a little bit back from the bracket. A spring goes between the washer and this donut. If these parts are missing, the shift lever won't have enough force to move the detent properly in the transmission. The same parts are in almost every RWD GM car if you need to find replacements at the parts yard.

If the problem is just the indicator, maybe your gear indicator has slipped. If you are willing to take the cover off your instrument cluster, look down to the steering column. The indicator is a plastic pointer that slides back and forth and connects via a thin cable to a fanged clip that attaches to the plastic bowl in the column that rotates when you move the shift lever. You can adjust where it clips on and epoxy it if it remains loose. You can't see it when the panel is back on. I had a 700-R4 in my wagon, and I just had one more click below '1'. The linkage does not care. The detents in transmission control the position of the lever and indicator. You may need to make some adjustments in the clamp and bolt that connects the rod to the trans lever. After all these years, some Loctite may be helpful to keep the bolt tight.

Thanks, you called it on that donut bushing, also the spring was no longer springy. I pulled the pieces from the pull yard and slapped them on. I can now shift into park from the column. Just need to get the indicator to line up so I have reverse lights

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
There is a white plastic switch on the lower side of the column. It has teeth in it to lock it in place, but something unclips or slides back and allows you to move the switch back and forth to set the correct position. I figured it out 20 years ago without a book, but can't remember now. I bet you too can figure it out. Block the wheels with the key on and lever in reverse and have your helper tell you when the lights go on. Then shift to park and neutral to make sure the lights go off again.

truracer20

Master Mechanic
Feb 16, 2014
western PA
The range indicator has nothing to do with reverse lights. The range selector linkage is just a piece of string with a black metal clip that attaches to the column cover.
If the indicator shows N when the transmission is in reverse that's a whole different story.

Look into what ssn696 posted above, I've never had to go through any of that so I can't help there. Any time I had an issue with the reverse lights not coming on in the right range it was due to slop in the linkage.

To adjust the range indicator remove trim panel bellow the column. apply the E brake or block the tires and put the transmission in neutral. Find the clip and slide it one way or the other until it indicates N. Check all other positions and fine tune as needed.

Last edited:

Westbank of NOLA

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 31, 2014
New Orleans
There is a white plastic switch on the lower side of the column. It has teeth in it to lock it in place, but something unclips or slides back and allows you to move the switch back and forth to set the correct position. I figured it out 20 years ago without a book, but can't remember now. I bet you too can figure it out. Block the wheels with the key on and lever in reverse and have your helper tell you when the lights go on. Then shift to park and neutral to make sure the lights go off again.
Thanks for the info, adjusted the switch by sliding towards the driver side. I now have the reverse lights come on when I put the car in reverse. Outstanding!

Attachments

• Rev.jpg
    Rev.jpg
    933.2 KB · Views: 502
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor