Column Shift to Floor Shift/Console using OE Stuff?

Status
Not open for further replies.

scoti

Royal Smart Person
Sep 5, 2019
Texas
I'm nearly done accumulating the front suspension upgrade parts & starting to investigate other items for the next phase on this 78 'Bu. My internet searching highlighted some older threads here but most of them were based on alternative consoles (newer cars), custom fabricated consoles, or using/installing aftermarket shifters.

The car is a 50k mile Malibu Classic.... Basic sbc/th350. I have a 200-4r to swap over along w/a 3.42 GN 8.5" housing. I plan to swap from the column shifter to a floor/console set-up. I've searched various options & will most likely get a re-pop floor console set-up from Dixie restorations since finding a clean used console in the Dallas area of TX is like locating Waldo. That being said..... I've never been a fan of the OE MCSS shifters nor a fan of the typical 'bolt-in' aftermarket 'performance' set-ups.

I've seen pics of a few g-body cars w/2nd GEN F-body consoles which got me thinking. I considered an f-body console but I'm not sold on it not looking out of place (I like things tweaked/modified w/o it being obvious where possible).

Has anyone used a stock console set-up & used something like a 2nd GEN f-body OE shifter (or similar OE/GM shifter) under it? I like the fact that the 2nd GEN shifters had a ratcheting option to them & would like that feature but in a 70's/MCSS console appearance. The f-body shifters also have aftermarket support for 4spd auto conversions on the gates

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I have the Fbody console IMO it doesn't look out of place in a Gbody and they have enough aftermarket support to have shifters dedicated to fit this console without modifications.
IMG_1467.JPG
IMG_2136.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

Bitterman

Greasemonkey
Jan 17, 2017
565bbchevy, I really like your interior. Every time I see it I'm impressed. Nice work and yes the Fbody console looks like a great fit.

Reactions: 1 user

scoti

Royal Smart Person
Sep 5, 2019
Texas
I have the Fbody console IMO it doesn't look out of place in a Gbody and they have enough aftermarket support to have shifters dedicated to fit this console without modifications.
Your car is one of the ones that got me looking & considering them. That being said, the black color helps hide some differences that stand out if a lighter color is used. Mine is the light blue. I cut the front section off of a bad console & put it under my dash to see how it looked. I thought it would look as good as yours but I wasn't feeling it w/the lighter colors.

Last edited:

L.A.X-RATED

Royal Smart Person
Aug 25, 2010
Great cond fbody console from a 84 maro,with floor brackets included---235.78 shipped.pm me if interested

scarborough

Master Mechanic
Sep 30, 2016
View attachment 154863 View attachment 154869

d.m where did you purchase those seat. i just dye my interior parts in my cutlass a sandstone color.im looking for seats the same color and type material for my car. did you have them reupholstered. a set of seat like those would match my build perfectly. i have bad back so i need the soft fabric. my car is almost reassemble, as of now the seat are my sticking point. i also like how you did your door panels.

i have a set of seat out of cutlass supreme that are gray just have a hard time finding someone locally to reupholster them at a reasonable price i'm getting quotes of 1500.00 to 2000 dollar to do the two bucket seat and the back seems a little high for valour fabric.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
i have a set of seat out of cutlass supreme that are gray just have a hard time finding someone locally to reupholster them at a reasonable price i'm getting quotes of 1500.00 to 2000 dollar to do the two bucket seat and the back seems a little high for valour fabric.
The buckets I bought a very long time ago through Summit Racing back when they sold them and they are made by Cerullo Seats and are very nice and I had a local shop redo my back seat and visors and then I bought extra material so I could make my upper door panels and headliner.
Cerullo now sells those seats for about $750 each and they will send you velour samples to you so you can match your interior.
I have considered getting them for my Regal since they do have an exact match for my interior but the price is a lot more than I want to spend on that car

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor