Column shift to floor shift

Status
Not open for further replies.

79MaliCrazz

G-Body Guru
Nov 6, 2010
Lake Wylie,SC
Hi guys I can't find much info maybe someone else can direct or tell me what I need to do I have converted my column shift to floor shift and what I need to know is how to disengage the column from locking so I can use the floor shifter.

87BlazeLS

Master Mechanic
Sep 5, 2012
Apopka Florida
Hey well I guess you got the column shift like I do. Monte LS or Column shift SS. Seems that the design was integrated
on the SS version so the floor shift linkage hooks up to the column shift rod.
What that means is on an SS version the floor shifter actually turns the collar
on the steering column so that when the floor shifter is in the Park position it also is the same position
on the column lock and pull the key out. With key out the floor shifter will not move.
I know it seems crazy but they had to figure out something to lock the floor shifter.
On the LS that means either changing to an SS column or taking the entire column
apart to change out the collar so it does not have the tabs where the column shift was attached.
To do the swap correctly requires some thought , donor parts, and a good bit of labor.
Some people have hacked the tabs off and patched the collar with bondo.
There are other methods too but this one has been done by many.
Personally I like the column shifter and would not go through the hassle for just moving it to the floor.
I also have a nice wooden storage box in the console floor position that serves very well.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
Hi guys I can't find much info maybe someone else can direct or tell me what I need to do I have converted my column shift to floor shift and what I need to know is how to disengage the column from locking so I can use the floor shifter.
When I first installed my B & M shifter in my Monte I still had the column shift so I removed the handle and then removed all the linkage leaving only the built in arm that is on the column in the engine compartment.
I made sure the column was in park and bent the arm against the firewall and used a lag bolt to secure it, this method will not lock the floor shifter obviously but the column will lock when the key is removed, eventually I found a donor floor shift column so it looked right cosmetically.

Reactions: 1 user

79MaliCrazz

G-Body Guru
Nov 6, 2010
Lake Wylie,SC
I have a 79 Malibu my SS is gone to heaven lol I installed the floor shifter from the SS but I removed the column shifter but I have to move the column out of park to unlock the steering I just want to eliminate that problem.

• Useful
Reactions: 1 users

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
On mine when it is in park just putting the key in and turning it forward unlocks the column.

79wagonator

Greasemonkey
Apr 21, 2011
Long Island, NY
I have a 79 Malibu my SS is gone to heaven lol I installed the floor shifter from the SS but I removed the column shifter but I have to move the column out of park to unlock the steering I just want to eliminate that problem.
You need to find the arm from a floor shifted car that connects the bottom part of the column under the hood to the linkage on the transmission. If you have headers there might be clearance issues. Or.... Find a manual shift column that has the lever on the column to disengage the key and has no linkage to deal with.. Oh and btw Howdy neighbor.. Im right next door in West Islip.. Do you go to Captree Sunday mornings? It was packed this morning.

• Agree

87BlazeLS

Master Mechanic
Sep 5, 2012
Apopka Florida
I bet that manual shift column will be a b*tch to find ....

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

L.A.X-RATED

Royal Smart Person
Aug 25, 2010
Nessasary "arm" from floor shifter set-up(87 mcSS)to solve your engagement problem---35.00 shipped.PM me if interested.

79MaliCrazz

G-Body Guru
Nov 6, 2010
Lake Wylie,SC
You need to find the arm from a floor shifted car that connects the bottom part of the column under the hood to the linkage on the transmission. If you have headers there might be clearance issues. Or.... Find a manual shift column that has the lever on the column to disengage the key and has no linkage to deal with.. Oh and btw Howdy neighbor.. Im right next door in West Islip.. Do you go to Captree Sunday mornings? It was packed this morning.
OK I'll look into that and no I have never gone to captree the 9 years I've lived here I guess cause I have been doing other things and or working on my car.I do go to some of the car shows and swap meets.I'm trying to get my car running by June it won't be a show car but it will still be a working in progress car.So I'll catch you around one of these days I don't even know what site to go on to see what shows are around our area.

79MaliCrazz

G-Body Guru
Nov 6, 2010
Lake Wylie,SC
Nessasary "arm" from floor shifter set-up(87 mcSS)to solve your engagement problem---35.00 shipped.PM me if interested.
Send me a pic thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor