MONTE CARLO Column Shift with 4L80E

Status
Not open for further replies.

straturday

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 24, 2018
Has anyone successfully swapped in a 4L80E while maintaining the column shifter? I know the shift linkage won’t clear the Hooker swap headers. Lokar makes a column shift cable kit that comes in 2” or 2 1/4” column sizes. My cars about an hour away from me right now, so I can’t measure. Has anyone used the Lokar cable kits? Did it work well, and which size would I need?

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
I did a 4L60E on a column by lengthening the column to crossbar/selector rod about 3/4". I would imagine that would have to be shortened if the 80 is wider.
Never used a cable for a column- trying to wrap my head around it...... I guess it would be the same as a truck?

Reactions: 1 user

Turbolq4

Royal Smart Person
Sep 25, 2017
Nampa Idaho
I have the column shift with a 4l80e. I just pushed the cup back until it went together. All stock parts. It wouldn't access first gear but I adjusted it all the way out and I think it will now but I have to hold some tension on it. I don't have any exhaust going down the drivers side so I can't comment on that.

straturday

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 24, 2018
I did a 4L60E on a column by lengthening the column to crossbar/selector rod about 3/4". I would imagine that would have to be shortened if the 80 is wider.
Never used a cable for a column- trying to wrap my head around it...... I guess it would be the same as a truck?

Are you using long tube headers, too?

The cable has a bracket it mounts to behind the selector on the trans which provides the tension.

I have the column shift with a 4l80e. I just pushed the cup back until it went together. All stock parts. It wouldn't access first gear but I adjusted it all the way out and I think it will now but I have to hold some tension on it. I don't have any exhaust going down the drivers side so I can't comment on that.

Yeah, I guess that’s where the interference is, with the drivers side header.

cs69camaro

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 20, 2014
Louisiana
I am running a 4L80 in my car. I was able to use the transmission bracket and cable from a B&M shifter and connected to the shifter lever on the column in the engine bay with a bolt. It works great and I have use of all gears.

Reactions: 3 users

straturday

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 24, 2018
I am running a 4L80 in my car. I was able to use the transmission bracket and cable from a B&M shifter and connected to the shifter lever on the column in the engine bay with a bolt. It works great and I have use of all gears.

Do you have pics of your setup per chance? Did you just use the cable from a B&M shifter you already had?

cs69camaro

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 20, 2014
Louisiana
Do you have pics of your setup per chance? Did you just use the cable from a B&M shifter you already had?
I don't have any pictures at the moment but I will try to get my car on my lift and snap a few. I used the cable and bracket from a shifter I had for a 700R4. The drawing below shows the parts used on the transmission.
upload_2018-3-15_21-17-49.png

• Friendly

straturday

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 24, 2018
I don't have any pictures at the moment but I will try to get my car on my lift and snap a few. I used the cable and bracket from a shifter I had for a 700R4. The drawing below shows the parts used on the transmission.
View attachment 84633

Hey bud, is there any chance you can snap a pic of how you have the cable attached to the shifter bracket on the column? I ended up getting the Lokar kit, but it’s a no go.

cs69camaro

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 20, 2014
Louisiana
Here is how I have mine done. Please excuse the dirt and the fine billet bolt used to attach the cable

Attachments

• 96B31465-54C5-45AE-B1FD-24ACB29D3BB0.jpeg
    96B31465-54C5-45AE-B1FD-24ACB29D3BB0.jpeg
    994.3 KB · Views: 1,357
  • 652A53B7-C897-460F-BAE1-9E3FECF51ABF.jpeg
    652A53B7-C897-460F-BAE1-9E3FECF51ABF.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 1,763
Reactions: 5 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor