column shifter to floor shifter conversion

Status
Not open for further replies.

chevyy_rollin47

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 1, 2019
whats up gbody peeps , im recently doing a floor shifter conversion on my 85 monte carlo ss , I was just wondering whether i will have to install a specific bracket onto my transmission or will the new linkage i bought be able to get put onto the transmission with no issues . thanks in advance .

Fishbait17

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 16, 2019
whats up gbody peeps , im recently doing a floor shifter conversion on my 85 monte carlo ss , I was just wondering whether i will have to install a specific bracket onto my transmission or will the new linkage i bought be able to get put onto the transmission with no issues . thanks in advance .
I am currently going through the same process, but I using B&M mega shifter. I would suggest going to Dixie Restoration Depot and check out some of the products for this product.

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
If you're going to go factory-style, you will need a bracket that bolts to the pan to hold the cable, and a different shift lever on the trans to accommodate the cable attachment

Both can be had as reproductions from various G body vendors

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
Hmm. Gonna make a small assumption here, that being you have a 200R4 automatic. As noted you will need the bracket and lever for the transmission. Depending on whose make of shifter you plan to use, you will have do some invasive surgery on your transmission tunnel to gain access for the shifter cable. 85's, like mine, that came with the console shifter already in place, had mounting brackets plug welded to the tunnel for just that reason. The hole was about 1-1/2 to 2 inches in dia and the cable was fitted with a combination plug/grommet of rubber to seal it up. You are also going to have to give some thought to the existing linkage. With the stock column mounted shift, when it was in park, one of the things that happened was that the neutral switch was activated so that you could start the car. You still have to be able to actuate that switch, even with the floor shift, or the car won't start. Basically you have to add a piece of linkage that runs from the lever on the transmission forward to the lever on the steering column. When you shift into park, that rod moves the column lever which in turns moves an internal rod and mechanism inside the column. All the spare columns that I harvested from wrecks over the decades had this internal apparatus. There also should be some kind of indicator in the gauge pod below the speedometer that shows what gear you are in that should be retained as well. If you can find one, it might be simpler to swap out your stock steering column assembly and sub in one that was designed for a floor shifter. Nothing too complicated about it. Four screws and the lower cover plate below the column drops out. The nuts for the cradle will be 15mm socket, there are four bolts that secure the lower mounting plate to the fire wall, the wiring harness is plug and play, the hardest bit might be the bolt at the bottom of the steering shaft that secures it to the coupling for the intermediate shaft. It is easier if the driver's seat is out, just for the wriggle room to get under the dash to get to things. it also gains you room to work on the carpet because that also might have to be trimmed or cut away to gain you solid ground for the chassis or base plate for your shifter. You can leave the carpet and underlay in place but when you go to drill holes or set screws you might easily find that the carpet fibre tries to wrap itself around the screw and bind it up.

Nick

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
A thought, it may be that your new floor mechanism might come with a provision for a neutral safety switch as part of its design. While that might eliminate the need for the forward linkage, you would still have to extend the existing wiring harness to make the connection. I will leave it to someone else to discuss the merits of editing out the plug all together and just wiring the two leads to each to make the circuit permanently hot.

Nick, again..

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor