Column swap question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baker7888

G-Body Guru
Dec 3, 2021
Maine
Forgive me if this has been addressed before. I swapped my th350 with column shift for a t10. I am wondering if/how there is an easy way to keep my existing column (shifter removed) since it's integrated with the steering lock, ignition lock etc.

SS_Malibu

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Sep 27, 2021
Mesa, AZ
This is the second Malibu I've switched from column to floor shift. I just removed all the linkage, left the column in park and everything has always worked fine. I moved the reverse lights to the floor shifter and didn't worry about the neutral safety switch. However, I am the only one that drives my car.

Reactions: 1 user

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Forgive me if this has been addressed before. I swapped my th350 with column shift for a t10. I am wondering if/how there is an easy way to keep my existing column (shifter removed) since it's integrated with the steering lock, ignition lock etc.
If you just want the look of a floor shift with out buying one just grind down the shifter mounting ears, plug the openning, use some body filler to smooth it out.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

Baker7888

G-Body Guru
Dec 3, 2021
Maine
This is the second Malibu I've switched from column to floor shift. I just removed all the linkage, left the column in park and everything has always worked fine. I moved the reverse lights to the floor shifter and didn't worry about the neutral safety switch. However, I am the only one that drives my car.
If column is in park doesnt it lock the steering ??

Baker7888

G-Body Guru
Dec 3, 2021
Maine
Only if the key is locked. In RUN will unlock the column.
Ok gotcha. So yeah, i have removed all linkages, and the lever. I can put it in park from under the hood where the linkage used to tie to. I should probably rig something up so it stays in park i guess.

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Ok gotcha. So yeah, i have removed all linkages, and the lever. I can put it in park from under the hood where the linkage used to tie to. I should probably rig something up so it stays in park i guess.
In my '72 Monte when it was converted to a stick I just let it be. Never moved on me. Even when my '81 was first converted to a stick I used a floor shift column & it's shift bowl never moved either. Nothing was ever used to keep them from moving.

Reactions: 1 users

airboatgreg

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 2, 2016
Don't forget when you convert to adjust the flux capacitor at the bottom of the column to the left the adjust for the shifter being farther right.

SS_Malibu

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Sep 27, 2021
Mesa, AZ
In my '72 Monte when it was converted to a stick I just let it be. Never moved on me. Even when my '81 was first converted to a stick I used a floor shift column & it's shift bowl never moved either. Nothing was ever used to keep them from moving.
Same here. It's never moved on me. Also, you can put it in park by grabbing the shift bowl on the column where the shifter used to be. You don't need to go under the hood at the linkage location to put it in park.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor