Column swap turn signal switch confusion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oldsdank81

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 28, 2016
Baltimore, Maryland
currently working on my 81cutlass original column shift and tilt wheel. ignition was trashed and tilt wheel very loose. blinkers worked intermittently also.
so i swapped the column with the one from my 86 cutlass parts car. which has the wiper delay and cruise on the column signal lever.
replaced the turn signal switch just because and have no signals whatsoever. hazards are fine all bulbs new as well as fuses. the switch i purchased was for an 81 but after reading it seems there are a number of different ones dependent upon year.
both the windshield wipers and the cruise control systems are removed from the car and I'm not concerned about retaining them. unless of course i need the plugs, but i plan to retain the lever. which switch should i be looking to get at the parts store?

i greatly appreciate any help

Last edited:

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
did you connect the wires for the cruise and wiper

s-l500.jpg

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
the lever only operate the turn signals if the cruise and wiper/washer are not plugged in. Did you have the cruise and wipers on the original lever?.

Bonnewagon

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
You are trying to merge two different systems and that will not work. '81 used a negative switched system and '86 used a positive switched system. You should stick with what the car has or much conversion will be necessary Once that is decided there are four possible switches and you need the one that fits your current wiper motor. . The options are: tilt with delay, tilt without delay, non-tilt with delay, and non-tilt without delay. Do a search on here for a thorough discussion about wipers and switches. I'll see if I can find it.

• Informative
Reactions: 1 user

Oldsdank81

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 28, 2016
Baltimore, Maryland
i think i was browsing the steering column swap thread your referring too earlier, where dougfather breaks down columns by year.
i no longer have the original column but i do recall it had the delay on the switch. the wiper motor and cruise system is completely removed.
not sure how involved the conversion is but its my only option other than finding the correct column.

i appreciate all the feedback

Bonnewagon

Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
So you are actually starting from scratch? OK so then go with the new column and wiper system and adapt to the positive switch type. You will need a wiper motor from '84 and up as well as some different wiring. Your column should already have the 5 wires and connector. Once you find a delay type motor you will need to change a few wires but it is not hard. What is harder is getting the new type motor to fit your fire wall. Longroof79 did it and he says one bolt is a bit off but he made it work. I'm sure Jack will advise you. If you can find the wiring diagrams it will be clearer. Here is where I get mine for the negative system.http://www.maliburacing.com/wiring.html But you need the positive system for comparison. .

Oldsdank81

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 28, 2016
Baltimore, Maryland
sorry for the confusion in my original post. i made it seem as if the column swap caused my wipers and cruise to not function.
i removed both wiper motor and cruise system from the car and don't plan to use them currently.
the colors on the replacement turn switch and the colors on the harness plug are identical.
maybe i have another issue elsewhere. I'm stumped

Longroof79

G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
When I swapped in a later tilt column in my car...of course I had to pickup a later wiper motor to be compatible with the later type column mounted switch.
I also ended up cutting out a few pigtails from a later G-body car.
I'll see if I can post a pic or two of what to look for. The plug for the general functions, like high beams, turn signals, are the same. The other plug is what is needed to make your stalk mounted switch functional....and the pigtail for the later wiper motor, which I'll get a pic of for you.

Don't give up hope. What you're doing is updating to a later wiper system.
I will also have to go back to my notes to refresh my memory.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor