combination/proportion valve rebuild kit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cajun83HO

Greasemonkey
Aug 3, 2016
Louisiana
Where can I get a rebuild kit for it for my 83 Hurst/Olds? Shouldn't be different than most others. My brake light almost stays on, sometimes brighter than other times. I think only two things turns it on. E brake and valve. I'm thinking the rod that moves back and forth when there is a pressure differential is stuck a little.

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
Man, go after the easy stuff first! Make sure the e-brake is fully retracting and the switch is clean before you go running head on at the shuttle valve. You can also check the valve to ground or unplug it, then see what the light does.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
You might have low brake pressure to the rear lines due to a leaking wheel cylinder or something. Check to make sure their is no leaks and like said before that the e brake is fully released.

I don't think I have heard of a prop valve going bad. Sometimes if your brake light is on the prop valve can be reset by driving in reverse quickly and stomping on the brakes. They can get sticky sometimes and the internet claims a spirited reverse brake stomp can reset it.

I have never heard of a prop valve going bad anyways?

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
If you dumped the rear lines out, make sure the prop valve is reset. There is a pin under the rubber button, push it in to reopen the passage to the rear brakes, and open one of the rear bleeders until fluid starts to drip. It's supposed to shift to retain some braking if you blow a hose or line.

Last edited:

Cajun83HO

Greasemonkey
Aug 3, 2016
Louisiana
Thanks for the reply and info. I haven't gotten to it yet. Dealing with other parts of life...….
Will update when I do.

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
If you decide to buy a new one get the part number from the Inline Tube website and then look the part number up on ebay. Their ebay sales are much cheaper. Same part, free shipping.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor