Coming back to G body's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
kornball426

kornball426

Royal Smart Person
May 29, 2009
Not just the cars, but to the forums too.

Hey everyone it's been a very long time since I've posted anything on this site, I sold my Regal back in 2011 and haven't had a G-body since. However I'm picking up an El Camino in the next few days hopefully so I can haul stuff that's too big and or filthy to fit in my daily driver, and of course to hot rod it. I've been planning this for a while, however I'm still not rich like I was hoping I'd be by now, so I'm trying to do everything as cheap as I can within reason. Haha.

Even though I don't have the car yet, so far I picked up a bolt in Strange 31 spline 9 inch with wilwood disc brakes and aluminum center section (unfortunately it has a spool in it, going to have to get a posi). I wouldn't have paid full price for it from Strange but I got it for about what a complete 8.5 10 bolt is going for these days so I thought it seemed like a good deal. Guy who sold it to me said it's been in multiple cars but has never actually been run (it looks brand new other than some surface rust on the rotors so I believe it). It came with UMI upper and lower adjustable arms and some new springs and shocks. Also picked up an LS swap harness and G force cross member.

I can't decide what I'm going to do for an engine yet. I'm tempted to try to do a budget turbo a 5.3, but on the other hand I might be happy with a budget built naturally aspirated 6.0, either way I'm planning on using a 4L80E. The engine decision might come down to whatever I can get a good deal on just to get the car on the road (the car I'm looking to get is a roller right now), then do a build up later. 5.3's are so much cheaper than 6.0's I may go that way at least initially and figure out what will be cheaper to achieve my goal for the car. I don't want to turn it into a race car just a fast street car but I'd like to get it into the low 12's or high 11's, no faster because I don't want to put a cage in it.

This brings me to my first question, have any of you ever done a home rebuild on a 4L80? It looks like there's a lot of parts but it doesn't actually look that difficult to do... But I'm just speaking from seeing it done in videos and magazine articles. If it's doable, what kit do you guys recommend using? TransGo, TCI, Hughes, etc? And if trying to do it myself is a bad idea who should I check out to do the rebuild for me?

Next question is highly subjective obviously, but what do you guys think I should do? 6.0 naturally aspirated, or 5.3 with some basic upgrades to make it survive some boost? What do you think will be cheaper in the long run to get where I want to go? Needs to stay reliable.

Final question for now, with the wilwood brake setup in the rear... What should I do for front brakes? S10 dual piston swap, corvette swap, wilwoods? I'd like to stay with 15 or 16 inch rims but I see C5 corvette rims for sale pretty often for not a lot of money. I guess I'd be willing to go 17's or 18's if it's worth it for the brakes.

-83MONTESS-

-83MONTESS-

Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
Wow I haven't seen that name in a while! Welcome back!

• Agree
Reactions: foxtrot
kornball426

kornball426

Royal Smart Person
May 29, 2009
Wow I haven't seen that name in a while! Welcome back!
Thanks. Hopefully I'll stick around for a while. I remember you, how's it going?

michmalibuman

michmalibuman

G-Body Guru
Supporting Member
Jun 14, 2017
Welcome back, you can't beat G= Bodies.:cool:

Reactions: kornball426
1evilregal

1evilregal

Comic Book Super Hero
Apr 23, 2009
Greensboro, NC
Welcome back,bud! Some of us old timers are still around!
just-when-i-thought-i-was-out-they-pull-me-back-in-godfather-meme.jpg

-83MONTESS-

-83MONTESS-

Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
Thanks. Hopefully I'll stick around for a while. I remember you, how's it going?
Going good! It will be 8 years since I joined this forum next month. Crazy to think of everyone that's come and gone

kornball426

kornball426

Royal Smart Person
May 29, 2009
Welcome back,bud! Some of us old timers are still around!
View attachment 96866
Thanks yeah I saw some people I recognized. I still lurk here sometimes. Just haven't had anything to add since I sold my regal and my 74 Firebird I haven't had a car worth talking about lol.

kornball426

kornball426

Royal Smart Person
May 29, 2009
Going good! It will be 8 years since I joined this forum next month. Crazy to think of everyone that's come and gone
Yeah I'm sure. Glad everything is going good it's going good for me too for the first time in a long time. I'm finally free of some sh*t that's been keeping me down so I'm trying to get back into cars and having fun again... Had a looooong, multi year, rough patch. Trying to put together a new hot rod, bought a vintage motocross bike trying to get into AHRMA racing for fun, and generally get my life back.

kornball426

kornball426

Royal Smart Person
May 29, 2009
Ugh, having trouble making a deal on a car. They're all junk around here or way too expensive. 10 years ago these cars were dime a dozen, now people think they are gold. Anyone got a rust free El Camino they want to get rid of?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Emhendo I Have a Noise Coming From The Fender General Discussion 4
69hurstolds Coming Soon To A Gas Station Near You: Cheaper Gas! OFF TOPIC 47
hayabrusa Leaving the bodyshop today. Coming home! General Discussion 23
86Monte4.3 No heat coming out of Vents!! Cooling / Heating / AC 25
pontiacgp Calgary, It's Coming Real Soon Brrrrrrrrrrrr OFF TOPIC 52
Texas82GP Craftsman hand tools coming back to USA General Discussion 31
GP403 GEAR 2021 G-Body Calendar General Discussion 0
techg8 Help please, one 2004r valve body Roll pin (large) needed Wanted 0
M G-Body of the Month G-Body of the Month 1
jakes87SS just picked up the july 85 car and driver G body issue General Discussion 12
M G body AC compressor cycling question Cooling / Heating / AC 9
8 How To- Mounting W body buckets in a G body Interior 5
P Need help decoding a 1981 Malibu body tag General Discussion 1
mlarcey iroc hood on g body General Discussion 16
D Will these new Ridler wheels fit a g body? Wheels / Tires / Brakes 6
S Olds 455 G Body Headers New Users 4
M New member, longtime g-body fan New Users 6
7 New Pearl Jam Video has a later model G body Cutlass at the beginning... Photos, Videos, etc. 4
kornball426 GTI brakes on G body General Discussion 3
602gbody REGAL phx g body New Users 4
Olds G's 1988 Cadillac Brougham D Body Forum Non-G Projects 3
Bonnewagon 15" x 6" or 7" Rally II's on a G-body? Wheels / Tires / Brakes 20
J F body donor car General Discussion 89
C CHEVY New life to an old square body farm truck Non-G Projects 13
gnvair FOR SALE Serpentine belt a/c hoses for 88-92 F body G-Body Parts For Sale / Trade 7
69hurstolds HJ prototype Label for G-body- Guess where it goes! General Discussion 14
MrSony Body Mount Trunk Cage Nut Repair Panels? Frame / Chassis / Suspension / Steering 6
gnvair Are the 82-02 F body rear lower controls the same as the 78-88 A/G bodies? Frame / Chassis / Suspension / Steering 2
Rktpwrd Body Guys - Clearcoat recommendations Body / Trim / Paint / Glass 44
Texas79cutty Another g body G-Body LS Swap 0
81_El_Homewrecker B-Body Master only Wheels / Tires / Brakes 15
80malibudriver Tremec TR3650 in a g body Manual Transmission / Clutch / Shifter 11
vpmac Are these G Body seats G-Body Parts For Sale / Trade 3
N Body parts comparison Body / Trim / Paint / Glass 3
MrSony Best, most complete body bushing kit? General Discussion 11
F G Body passenger side chrome mirror General Discussion 11
S Back Glass: 1978 Malibu A-Body Coupe (Non-Landau, Non-Vinyl Top) Body / Trim / Paint / Glass 2
8 G-body door window belt molding G-Body Parts For Sale / Trade 0
M WTB Bolts (body hardware) Wanted 6
7 Double hump G-body cross-member G-Body Parts For Sale / Trade 1
J CUTLASS LR body mount bolt rusted behind tire Frame / Chassis / Suspension / Steering 1
R HELP Body bushing kit prothane or energy suspension? General Discussion 31
jimsmonte80 1978-1988 G-Body upper rear quarter panel interior trim seal Interior 0
blk7gxn Garage SIGNS to go with your beloved G body General Discussion 40
gnvair Factory A body 4 speed Hurst shifter on Ebay Chevrolet Monte Carlo / SS / Malibu 0
K NIB Spohn Front upper Tubular Control Arms 1978-1987 GM G-Body G-Body Parts For Sale / Trade 8
69hurstolds OPINIONS WANTED: Best G-body Pre-bent Brake Line Vendor. Wheels / Tires / Brakes 26
83GWAGON MALIBU What's going on G-Body peeps? I recently bought an 83' Malibu CL Wagon. New Users 57
JAMCAR223 My name starts with a G. Body General Discussion 0
84regalbuick Body off frame? G-Body Build Threads 29