Comp Cam 256H valve springs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

malibu79

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Ive planned to install a new cam to my 79 Malibu 305/TH200 LG4

Comp Cam XE256H-10 (CL12-234-2) 212/[email protected] (Adv. 256/268), Lift .447 / .454

There is also a complete Kit (K12-234-2) with all the valve springs, retainers,locks ,seals and timing chain included...but:

Do i need the Comp Cam valve springs?? This cam didn`t seems TOO lifty to me, but teach me a lesson, please..

Thanks!

Last edited:

lilbowtie

Comic Book Super Hero
Jan 7, 2006
Canton Mi
Can you get away without - probably. This is where people start having problems wiping cams by not having the proper springs. Besides why would you want to reuse 40 year old springs. When ever I put new cam in an engine it's always with the springs called for.

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

Streetbu

Know it all, that doesn't
Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
Safest way is to get the whole kit. But... That's a small cam. You'll need something better than stock, but not very expensive. You can easily get by with the old school Z28 springs. I think you can get a complete set for $40 or so.

Reactions: 2 users

malibu79

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Thanks for your replies! Right, i just want to pull the „peanut cam“ with the rebuild. Goal: Better quality with a real timing chain (this aluminium/nylon thing scares me) and build a serious valvetrain...when some extra horses coming around even better😄Had a Comp Cam 268H in my 350 80 El Camino and was very happy! The Delphi lifters in the kit with the tiny black groove on it are best i have heard. Its a daily driver so low rpm torque and vacuum is critical, with a 110 LSA i should get a smooth idle, even a bit of lopey idle is totally fine...
So you think the Complete Kit is the way to go? I think so...after your posts

melloelky

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 22, 2017
mass
i think so,they've done all the R&D they know what parts work together and that way you're not second guessing anything from the start.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

axisg

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 17, 2007
YYZ
yeah just get their kit. And then when there is a "sale" some 1.5 or 1.6 roller tip rockers will give it a little extra punch

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

lilbowtie

Comic Book Super Hero
Jan 7, 2006
Canton Mi
Got me thinking and another thing you should do is the valve guide seals. To the best of my knowledge the SBC didn't have positive valve guide seals till the 80's and it would be a good upgrade. If the guides are too big to accept the seals there are cutters.

Reactions: 1 users

malibu79

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Yes, i have planned that! Viton seals with cutting the valve guide boss with a guided cutter. Do it once, do it right👍🏻

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
Call me an alarmist or whatever, but there's no way I'd consider putting a flat tappet cam in a rebuild today, given the horror stories out there. If you do a little reading, you'll find that people are having problems even when they're using the lifters supplied by the cam grinder...even Comp's stuff.

If you're going to do it right, it'd be a roller cam in today's world....ESPECIALLY in a Chevrolet, which has the largest aftermarket support of pretty much any engine manufacturer.

I know people will holler about the cost, but good OE SBC roller blocks are everywhere (making a roller swap easy), and one wiped lobe and subsequent re-rebuild will wipe out any cost "savings" a flat tappet cam would offer.

My coupe has a flat tappet cam in it, which had been installed by engine builder. I broke it in using the time-honored methodology, and it seems fine, but I'm still nervous about it. Only reason I used it was it was in the engine (never fired), and I didn't want to tear a fresh reman down, especially given I was $200+ ahead after parting the donor car.

malibu79

Not-quite-so-new-guy
I know people will holler about the cost, but good OE SBC roller blocks are everywhere
Im from Germany😆There is almost nothing availible when it comes to small blocks🙄 If i could go down the road to the next junk yard and get my stuff i wont ever consider rebuilding a 305...i would go LS or so🤷🏻‍♂️

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor