Comp cams XR288HR in BBC for the street

Status
Not open for further replies.

bracketchev1221

Royal Smart Person
Jan 18, 2018
There’s a lot to know about big block chevys over just a cam. There’s Dozens of head castings, cast cranks, forged cranks, 3/8” rod bolts, 7/16” rod bolts, open chamber, closed chamber, etc. I’d want to know a lot more than the cam

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Not knowing the people involved….ooofa…..no paperwork, not sure what it has in it, stock heads…….it would make a humongous difference if I knew the people involved and trusted them. If there is any doubt about the shop or the seller, then buy a crate motor and forget about this one.

But if these guys are trustworthy, then you probably are getting a deal.

The part of it that I don’t like is factory ported heads. That’s a head shaker, why ? Factory BBC heads are not good - none of them ported or not. With that in mind, what’s the crank, what rods?

Good luck - Jim

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Channeling fleming442 here…

Buy it, stab it, and SEND IT!!

Reactions: 1 users

Kamloops cutlass

Master Mechanic
Jan 27, 2021
Kamloops bc
I do t know what to do , if it were in front of me I’d say go! Lol
Right now I have a rum and coke I front if me
I want to do this big block thing , last time I went mental over a small block and was disappointed in the end lol
Time to be disappointed by something h else

Kamloops cutlass

Master Mechanic
Jan 27, 2021
Kamloops bc
You ever get drunk with your dog and decide you want to be a dog and hang out with him ?
Yeah … it doesn’t work people get scabby and whine
**** people

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
You could get this aluminum headed 496 with a 2 year warranty for less than what he paid for that mild stock headed 454.

mc1984ss

Master Mechanic
May 18, 2020
Even if it has production cast iron heads there is nothing wrong with that. The oval ports can make great torque and rectangle ports can make great horsepower. There have been thousands and thousands of high performance BBC's built for the marine industry that used gm rectangle port heads

Kamloops cutlass

Master Mechanic
Jan 27, 2021
Kamloops bc
You could get this aluminum headed 496 with a 2 year warranty for less than what he paid for that mild stock headed 454.
Add 30-50% to that for Canadian funds
Labour is much higher here as well
Like I said earlier ,my aluminum headed roller cam sbc 383 long lock was 7700 several years ago
Don’t remember if that was tax in or not

Kamloops cutlass

Master Mechanic
Jan 27, 2021
Kamloops bc
Thanks guys , we’ll revisit this topic when I know more about the engine .

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor