COMPLETE LS SWAP MPG

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldsmobile joe

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2015
mpls
i calculated with lock-up. at 70mph, engine is turning about 1700 rpms. so you have a pretty good ear for this. you said 1800.

i used this for the calculator http://www.grimmjeeper.com/gears.html

Reactions: 1 user

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
You might benefit from just holding it in 3rd gear. If it's constantly downshifting and locking and unlocking the converter, that's a whole lot of unnecessary heat being created.

oldsmobile joe

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2015
mpls
Do you have a similar setup?
Not yet, but soon. I have the 5.3l, holley system, and car. I was going 6spd, but my wife wants an auto. Go figure.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Yes, 4l60e with stock 2.73s I believe is what it is. I drove 2005+ Cad STS’s and even their v-6 couldn’t do that. The best I ever got with those 8s were 18 and I’d have to do 65 to get it. The only thing I’d like to do is increase the gears. I overheated going up a mountain in Utah and I wonder if that had anything to do with it. But, posted this so people knew what was going on. I’m a stickler for efficiency and mpg.

have you done the engine and transmission conversion but never removed the cover on the rear end to see what the ratio is and to change the 30 year old lubricant?

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Change the gear oil to 75w90 and check the ratio while in there.

• Agree

20Grand

Apprentice
Mar 16, 2018
Change the gear oil to 75w90 and check the ratio while in there.
I checked 6 months ago. I believe
have you done the engine and transmission conversion but never removed the cover on the rear end to see what the ratio is and to change the 30 year old lubricant?
Well, this is assuming the previous owners never replaced the lubricant, then yes. Do you think this could cause the overheating?

20Grand

Apprentice
Mar 16, 2018
Not yet, but soon. I have the 5.3l, holley system, and car. I was going 6spd, but my wife wants an auto. Go figure.
I had a really nice 88 Camaro that was manual and hated it in the city. I think I would’ve like it more if there weren’t so many stop signs and lights.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Well, this is assuming the previous owners never replaced the lubricant, then yes. Do you think this could cause the overheating?

If it was old oil it would cost you hp and fuel mileage but it would not cause the engine to overheat. I don't understand why anyone would buy a used car decades old and not change all the fluids because you did say....
I I’m a stickler for efficiency and mpg.

When you say the engine was overheating what temperature did it get up to?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor