Compressed air past piston rings

Status
Not open for further replies.

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
Im getting ready to disassemble my valve springs and im using an adapter to keep the valves up with compressed air. When I put the adapter in and hook up the air hose a lot of the air is getting past the piston rings. Its equal in every cylinder sound wise I don't have a pressure gauge. This is a 496 big block chevy that has never been fired. Im thinking/hoping it's because the rings aren't seated yet??? Its not leaking past the intake or exhaust valve just the pistons. What do you guys think? I cant find anything online that's helpful with a new engine. When I compress the valve springs there is still enough air present to keep the valves up even with the triple spring setup I have. Any ideas?

Fox80

G-Body Guru
Jun 27, 2013
Jamestown NY
Without actually hearing it, it sounds normal to me, I have changed springs on circle track motors hundreds of times this way and you can always hear the air going into the oil pan. The air seeps past the ring gaps, my air compressor is a 150 psi output 80 gal tank and it would cycle on a few times before I could get all the way around the motor. You could always do a leak down test after it is broke in to ensure all is ok

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
Ok im just being paranoid. Thanks for the reassurance :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor