Compressing Front Springs

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
A question.
Ive used the same OEM brand coil spring compressor for a long time. Did the front springs on my 81. Twice. Did the springs on my wagon. Both times I did them the same way. Put the rod through the shock hole, two claws on the bottom of the springs and drew it up into the frame with a 3/4 socket, a long extension and a ratchet with an 18" handle. Worked fine.
The first time on both cars went pretty easy. Didnt chew up the paint on the lower or the spring. This time, not so lucky and Im not sure why.
I still have everything in primer since I know its going to be taken apart a couple of times until I get the right ride height. The paint on the lower and the spring has gotten pretty scraped up.
Didnt happen before. WTH ? Touching everything up after theyre in will look like crap.
Should I use a different style compressor ? What are you guys using ?

79 USA 1

Royal Smart Person
Sep 2, 2011
Cheektowaga, New York
Not sure if this will help but... We always attached a strip of "Chip board" (Think cereal box cardboard) on the hooks with a few dabs of gasgacinch or fast dry contact adhesive just to keep it in place. It did keep the paint on the spring and control arm from damage while also preventing the hooks from slipping on the spring. We have done my brothers 74 Monte Carlo, my 79 Monte Carlo as well as a friends 38 Oldsmobile (Camaro front clip) street rod.

• Creative
Reactions: 1 users

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
Not sure if this will help but... We always attached a strip of "Chip board" (Think cereal box cardboard) on the hooks with a few dabs of gasgacinch or fast dry contact adhesive just to keep it in place. It did keep the paint on the spring and control arm from damage while also preventing the hooks from slipping on the spring. We have done my brothers 74 Monte Carlo, my 79 Monte Carlo as well as a friends 38 Oldsmobile (Camaro front clip) street rod.
I actually wrapped the hooks with electrical tape but it didnt do much. I was thinking of trying a piece of bike inner tube.

84 W40

G-Body Guru
Dec 9, 2009
This is what I have been using for the past 30 plus years for compressing front springs. Its made by OTC great tool, not a big fan of the finger type or claw compressor. Inner tube should do the trick.
20210925_105218.jpg

Reactions: 2 users

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Maybe slice open heater hose and put it over the coils? I've never worried about scratches on the coil springs.

Reactions: 1 user

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
This is what I have been using for the past 30 plus years for compressing front springs. Its made by OTC great tool, not a big fan of the finger type or claw compressor. Inner tube should do the trick.
View attachment 184406

That is the better and safer type of compressor, shame it costs so much.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
I dont like scratches. LOL
Heater hose might be too thick but I'll check that out.

View attachment 184418
It's beautiful but are you ever going to drive it? If so, are you going to chamois your springs and control arms? I'm not trying to be a smart a$$, just trying to add some perspective. Even if you only drive it on a nice day, it's going to get dusty. Touch it up and press on.

• Agree

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
It's beautiful but are you ever going to drive it? If so, are you going to chamois your springs and control arms? I'm not trying to be a smart a$$, just trying to add some perspective. Even if you only drive it on a nice day, it's going to get dusty. Touch it up and press on.
Says the Texan with OCD... :)

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor