Compressor compatibility

Status
Not open for further replies.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
May be hard to find the correct brackets for a Buick BB engine
He has the A6 brackets for the Buick, he could probably modify those to fit the R4.

Reactions: 1 user

1bad79

Royal Smart Person
Dec 3, 2011
Allendale mi
I’m not a Buick guy so I honestly don’t know but could he use the brackets from a early 231/3.8l or 4.1l on a Buick v8?

CRAZY TRAIN 86

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 7, 2015
Thank You everyone for your replies.
I tried this today after researching a bit more. It seems like it will work. A6 style compressor for my 1976 Buick 455 connected to factory a/c lines that came in my 1986 Buick Regal Limited.
20200406_174230.jpg

Last edited:

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
The only way to know is by doing a mock up on the car since the A6 will push the lines farther back the lines might not want to make the bends and the one that goes to the condenser might end up being to short.

Reactions: 1 users

CRAZY TRAIN 86

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 7, 2015
The only way to know is by doing a mock up on the car since the A6 will push the lines farther back the lines might not want to make the bends and the one that goes to the condenser might end up being to short.
Damn...I was so excited it never crossed my mind. I'm still waiting to get my motor back from machinist. I also have to decide on who is getting my money for a performance transmission. So mock up is going to be a bit.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
This is just my preference buy I like the fact that I can still remove my passenger side valve cover without having to touch the R4 compressor since it sits in front of the engine and not over it.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
As a last resort, find an industrial hose shop or if any of the local auto A/C shops can make new hoses, have them make new hoses to fit your A6 to G-body application. It's the only way to be sure.

gnvair

Royal Smart Person
Sep 1, 2018
Southern New Jersey near Philly
The Buick V6 shares a lot in common on the front with the Buick V8. I personally would try to use the 78-87 era A/G body accessory brackets with the R4 compressor. You would probably be able to use existing V6 ac hoses as well

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
Note: reusing your old lines is ok if you're using R12. If you're converting to R134a you have a choice: get new hoses with the proper barrier membrane built in, or, constantly but slowly lose refrigerant charge and the associated problems.

R12 molecules were bigger. The smaller R134a molecule slowly permeates through the earlier non-barrier line material and escapes the atmosphere. Or so they say. One reason why so many have to keep "topping off" they're systems.

Just depends if you're a set it and forget it type, or don't mind the extra maintenance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor