Computer Control Carb ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

elcotrk

Apprentice
Oct 8, 2021
My CC carb # 17086004 for my 1986 Elco 305
A 17083204 is for sale Napa plastic wrapped
I’ve swapped different 178???? # carbs in the past worked fine no problems is there a difference internally from the different years of the CCCarb

nycutlass

G-Body Guru
Jul 29, 2008
NY
i personally deleted the computers and carb that were computer controlled once they went bad. it was kind of a joke of a computer system as well.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
There COULD be internal differences. It would be hard to say. You'd have to know the nuances of each carburetor to know what's what. Sometimes they're 2 point adjustments, 3-point, or even 4 point adjustments. Just depends on application. Mostly, since the fuel is metered via the MC solenoid and ECM with the feedback, plus all the engines were about the same size and fuel requirements, they shared a lot of jet sizes between them.

There's also some slight differences externally with the carbs too, such as vacuum ports and linkage arms and the like. If they're tuned to your engine, they may work just fine. If they're not, they might work, but not as efficiently.

ELCAM

Royal Smart Person
Jun 19, 2021
Some parts kits are the same part number others are not.

86 Chevy 305 QJ.png

83 305 QJ.png

The most important things have the same part numbers. I would go for it.

Last edited:

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
My CC carb # 17086004 for my 1986 Elco 305
A 17083204 is for sale Napa plastic wrapped
I’ve swapped different 178???? # carbs in the past worked fine no problems is there a difference internally from the different years of the CCCarb

In 86 Chevy added an extra vacuum port which affects vacuum line routing. Also early LG4s have lower compression than later LG4s which may have affected factory tuning. Only real way to know is to open up both and measure all the internal orifices with numbered drill bits. According to Carbs Unlimited both the carbs you listed use the same rebuild kit.
https://www.carburetion.com/CarbNumber.asp?Number=17083204
https://www.carburetion.com/CarbNumber.asp?Number=17086004

Another winkle is that chainstore reman carbs are more often than not are poor quality. Too many places cut corners and reman carbs to generic specs rather than rebuild to correct factory specs. Its best to have your original carb rebuilt by a competent carb rebuilder. CCC carbs are not really hard to rebuild, you just really need to know what you are doing and have the special tools, either bought used or homemade.

Regardless if you swap the Napa unit on or rebuild the stocker, both will require to perform final tuning on the running engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor