MONTE CARLO Computer delete

Status
Not open for further replies.

KarateCrotch

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 30, 2020
Los Angeles
I’m upgrading from stock Quadrajet and stock intake to edelbrock and was wondering how to do a computer delete And if I need anything I’m also getting a blueprint hei distributor from summit to go with it. Any help appreciated 👍

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
I have to ask.... why would you, especially in California where you need to pass inspections?

Your short list is going to be carb (qjet has better mileage and power when properly tuned and set up), distributor, and you'll need to set up something to control lockup on the transmission.

As far as what kalifornia will need to be OK with it though....

KarateCrotch

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 30, 2020
Los Angeles
I have to ask.... why would you, especially in California where you need to pass inspections?

Your short list is going to be carb (qjet has better mileage and power when properly tuned and set up), distributor, and you'll need to set up something to control lockup on the transmission.

As far as what kalifornia will need to be OK with it though....
If I delete the ecm I would need a new transmission or something to control the lockup? I’m sorry I’m asking not to be an *ss just not super experienced in computer stuff. So it would be better to stay stock intake,carb,and distributor? And another reason I wanted to get the new carb and intake i have long tubes and also taking off the thermostat housing a bolt snapped and is stuck in the manifold

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
You got smog testing. Leave the stuff or trade it for a first gen monte.
Or an E rod LS. Not too keen on Cali laws but I know they frown on modifications.

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
If I delete the ecm I would need a new transmission or something to control the lockup? I’m sorry I’m asking not to be an *ss just not super experienced in computer stuff. So it would be better to stay stock intake,carb,and distributor? And another reason I wanted to get the new carb and intake i have long tubes and also taking off the thermostat housing a bolt snapped and is stuck in the manifold
I'd start by reading and researching what you need for emissions compliance with what you plan to do before altering anything on the car - carb, dizzy, intake, etc. The board searxh function

My understanding is whatever the referee decides on the day it's in front of him/her goes, regardless of anything they mightve suggested to you ahead of time. Then again, you may be registering out of state or not driving everyday. Only you know.

Next up... your carb. If there's an issue, send it out for a known quality rebuilder. They're going to ask you the year, engine, Trans, and state of emissions. If they DONT then it's not the guys you want touching it. If there's no issue, you're going to get the best mix of mileage and power from that qjet, and best drivability from the CCC system. When it's working, it works great.

Your engine is a 305. It's never going to be half as fast as a new v6 mustang or camaro.

Cuse99

Master Mechanic
Dec 21, 2020
Do you really need lock up in a 305? It the trans does not lock up how much gas milage will you loose? There are ways to resolve this with lock up kits but it will probably cost you to buy the kit and have someone with tech skills to install it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor