Computer removal and passenger side wires?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ham1974

Greasemonkey
Oct 6, 2012
I will be taking the computer out of the passenger side kick panel.I have removed the heat and the AC components already. Do I need any of the wires on this side appears that they all connect in the middle of dash in a couple of connectors. I cant think of anything that would be in there I might need but just checking first.

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
If you're pulling the computer, you don't need that harness. You have to pull the inner fender to get to the grommet. It also has a metal retainer held in by 2 screws.

• Informative
Reactions: 1 user

1evilregal

Comic Book Super Hero
Apr 23, 2009
Greensboro, NC
you'll be amazed at just how much wiring you end up removing, when you get all the computer controlled wiring out...

helpful hint: save all the wiring, you never know when you'll need some spare wire and/or connectors! ;)

• Agree
Reactions: 4 users

DoubleV

Royal Smart Person
Feb 25, 2011
Medina Ohio
You don't have to pull the fender to remove grommet. You can access it by removing a couple of the bolts on the inner plastic wheel well and prying it out of the way.

Remove the circuit board from the remote lamp driver or your check engine light will always be on.

Planning in using converter lockup?

ham1974

Greasemonkey
Oct 6, 2012
I had t thought about it but how would you salvage that? Is it a stand already be deal?

DoubleV

Royal Smart Person
Feb 25, 2011
Medina Ohio
I don't understand what you're asking....

ham1974

Greasemonkey
Oct 6, 2012
You were asking about the converter lock up. I had not thought of using the lock up feature from the computer. I am not familiar with how it works on a stock car but doesn’t it just need a 12 volt trigger?

DoubleV

Royal Smart Person
Feb 25, 2011
Medina Ohio
Gotta go into transmission to swap switch to a different kind to get it to work.

DoubleV

Royal Smart Person
Feb 25, 2011
Medina Ohio
Pretty sure years ago I did a thread on how to do it. If I didn't I'm sure someone else did.

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
You can trigger it manually which is a PITA, or use an aftermarket kit which does not control lockup as well as the stock ECM. Generally removing the computer does not improve performance, costs a lot of money, and reducing gas mileage. Intact and uncut computer harnesses are worth $100+.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor