Computer wiring question and what are these connectors for?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bilbo9000

n00b
Sep 11, 2021
Hi, new member here. Been reading posts on here for years but just signed up. Anyway I've got an '86 El Camino that's been sat for a few years now with no interior in it after the wiring for the power door locks shorted out on the body and started a small fire when the fuseable links didn't work too well and the cross dash loom burnt out.

Anyway I've finally started getting it rebuilt and back on the road and have two questions.

Firstly I was trying to work out where the two plugs on this loom go for a while before I found out that they should go to some engine ECU wiring that is supposed to come through the firewall under the heater, but it looks like someone has removed that in the past so guess they don't go anywhere. But without these connected does my torque converter still lock up or is it always slipping? I believe I have a TH200 Metric (it says metric on the pan) with lockup as it has the lockup wiring going in the side from the engine bay harness. But is this transmission gonna get hot and burnt out without the ECU switching it?
IMG_20210911_173521561.jpg
IMG_20210911_173600178.jpg

The second question is if anyone recognises these two connecters and if they should be fitted? They are hanging around the left side of steering column behind the dash.
IMG_20210911_154232200.jpg

Thanks.

Reactions: 1 user

g0thiac

G-Body Guru
Sep 6, 2020
Hi, new member here. Been reading posts on here for years but just signed up. Anyway I've got an '86 El Camino that's been sat for a few years now with no interior in it after the wiring for the power door locks shorted out on the body and started a small fire when the fuseable links didn't work too well and the cross dash loom burnt out.

Anyway I've finally started getting it rebuilt and back on the road and have two questions.

Firstly I was trying to work out where the two plugs on this loom go for a while before I found out that they should go to some engine ECU wiring that is supposed to come through the firewall under the heater, but it looks like someone has removed that in the past so guess they don't go anywhere. But without these connected does my torque converter still lock up or is it always slipping? I believe I have a TH200 Metric (it says metric on the pan) with lockup as it has the lockup wiring going in the side from the engine bay harness. But is this transmission gonna get hot and burnt out without the ECU switching it?
View attachment 183546 View attachment 183547

The second question is if anyone recognises these two connecters and if they should be fitted? They are hanging around the left side of steering column behind the dash.
View attachment 183548

Thanks.
Without the lockup, yes it will get hot but if you are driving it small distances, at reasonable speeds it shouldn't mess it up.

I would suggest hooking it up, or getting a kit to run it without the ECM.

mwjoyce78

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 10, 2018
New Hampshire
Hi- Connector on left side of picture with black body and white clip —connects to the single back wire coming from the steering column. Like the connector shown below.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    662 KB · Views: 95
Reactions: 1 user

Bilbo9000

n00b
Sep 11, 2021
Thanks for replies. I had another look under dash and couldn't find that single black wire to go into that plug. After some more investigation it looks like it's because they are for the cruise control and I've only got a normal wiper switch fitted and not a cruise control switch. So can leave them hanging.
I'm assuming as I don't have cruise control working I also don't have to fit that optical tacho that goes by the speedo cable (One with the red/green/black wires and little green control unit)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor