Concert Sound door panel install modifications

Status
Not open for further replies.

JAMCAR223

Royal Smart Person
Jun 6, 2014
Houston, TX.
So I was thinking about this install, even though I'm a few months away from the actuall install. But since my doors are gutted for paint & body work, I figured this would be a good time to do the modifications ( cutting ?? - if any ) and mock everything up before I paint the car, and door panels.

I have the original lower door panels from a GN, but do not have the original speaker basket rings. I know there are some of you that have added these. Do I HAVE to get the speaker baskets, and do I have to cut my 1978 Cutlass Salon inner door frame?
IMG_1054.JPG

This is the only pic I can find right now. This was from an old thread from 2010, and obviously he had to cut his door panel. I won't have to do that, but what about my door? At the bottom center of the speaker, it looks like the inner door frame has been cut. My GN does not have CS, so I don't know what it's supposed to look like. I guess I was not expecting the speaker to be offset like it is in this pic. I want to use 5.25" speakers here ( although it looks like 6.5" may fit ). Anybody got any info, or tips for me? Thanks!
Concert Sound pic.JPG

Reactions: 1 users

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
The factory cut the steel door skins... rather sloppily at that. No room for install without chopping.

The general rule is also to get the speaker baskets for mounting purposes if you want a clean install. Not using them risks metal vibration and difficulty in secure mountings. Can be worked around, since you don't have them, but it is what it is.

Reactions: 1 user

slow 442

Greasemonkey
Jan 16, 2014
I have the concert sound door panels installed on my 86. I used the stock regal / gn baskets and door panels, had to cut a hole big enough for the magnet to fit through on the inner door shell. From what I remember the baskets are held in with three screws each and the stand off's on the baskets are different lengths due to the door stamping. Making or buying an adapter/spacer for the speaker seems like the easiest way as you can't mount the speaker flush in the door due to the window mechanism being in the way. Also if you are doing work on the door drill the holes for the window motor bolts while you have the tools out.

Reactions: 2 users

slow 442

Greasemonkey
Jan 16, 2014
The pic with the blue door panels looks like the speaker is installed too high by eye, but I haven't ever removed the grills to see how mine is orientated. I'm using a 5.25 speaker.

JAMCAR223

Royal Smart Person
Jun 6, 2014
Houston, TX.
Also if you are doing work on the door drill the holes for the window motor bolts while you have the tools out.
(y) Good idea. I was planning on it, since I already have new window motors.

It looks like I need to find the speaker baskets, so it will fit the inner door curves like factory, and space the speaker out properly as to not interfere with the glass.

JAMCAR223

Royal Smart Person
Jun 6, 2014
Houston, TX.
The pic with the blue door panels looks like the speaker is installed too high by eye, but I haven't ever removed the grills to see how mine is orientated. I'm using a 5.25 speaker.
I'm going to have to look, and do some some measuring. I was not expecting the speaker to sit that high. Since the CS was not an option when these lower door panels were first designed in 1978, this may be the only way they fit??

slow 442

Greasemonkey
Jan 16, 2014
Also run quality speaker wire thru the door boot while you have it apart .the cheap stuff will fail quickly with all the opening and closing of the doors.

slow 442

Greasemonkey
Jan 16, 2014
Search concert sound door cut out on this forum. Under my old username 44whoo Brian from gbody parts offered to send pics. I don't remember if I ever took him up on the offer but I think the inner panels have indents like the motor bolts do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor