Confused, different orifice tube for R134 ???

Status
Not open for further replies.

HAFROD

Royal Smart Person
Jul 15, 2013
Claremore, OKLAHOMA
So I have read some threads but basically confused now. Is there a different orifice tube that I will need to use with R134 refrigerant? EVERYTHING including evap will be new except the small aluminum line. Was going to start bolting on new stuff next weekend but have to get the parts ordered at my local O'Reilley Auto. The new evaporator is already in my restored heat/ac box on firewall.

84camino

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 11, 2015
I'm using a variable oriface tube on my el Camino it moves with the freon flow bought it from rock auto

Reactions: 1 user

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
I think the red tube out of a 92 or whatever the first years of F150s to have 134 is the cheap right one way to do it.

Honestly, I have a stock r12 orphice tube in mine (actually r12 parts in everything minus new rubber lines and a new reciever drier) and it will freeze up the condenser.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
So which variable orifice tube do we need for our cars and a part number would be great? I want to get my 86' Regal AC working with all new parts

84camino

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 11, 2015
I bought mine off rock auto 3 years ago I'll have to look it up in my files

WordMan

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 29, 2016
Lenoir City, Tennessee
I think the red tube out of a 92 or whatever the first years of F150s to have 134 is the cheap right one way to do it.

Honestly, I have a stock r12 orphice tube in mine (actually r12 parts in everything minus new rubber lines and a new reciever drier) and it will freeze up the condenser.

You need to adjust the cycle switch up a bit.

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Here's the one that I initially installed, but there was a problem with it freezing up and not blowing cold. https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=668605&cc=1055461&jsn=436&jsn=436
The mechanic ended up removing the red tube and putting the standard white orifice tube in and it works fine.

I thought the orifice tube that I first selected would have worked fine. It did indicate that it was for up to 105 degrees...or 105- . Some of the other tubes indicated 105+ for extreme weather conditions.
It just didn't work in my situation.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: 1 user

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero
I have used the adjustable for years, can't remember the part number off hand though.

84camino

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 11, 2015
I know mine is white not red just an FYI....I did not find the paperwork yet as its been so many years ago...

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor