Confused myself while researching valve lash. Can someone please educate me?

Status
Not open for further replies.

WisconsinCutlass

Greasemonkey
May 28, 2014
I don't know if this is going to be a pretty stupid question so please bare with me. I've been researching and trying to figure out what the valve lash on my motor should be at. Im running a 72 Olds 350, eldebrock performer rpm cam, and roller rockers. Everywhere I read said to check the cam card for the valve lash setting. So I check the edlebrock website find my cam card and I don't see the lash setting. I then read the description of the cam and it says that the cam is supplied with hydraulic flat tappet lifters. So I started researching hydraulic lifters and started confusing myself because I read that hydraulic lifters don't need to be lashed? So my question is do I need to set my valve lash? If so what do I set it at? I attached as many pictures as I could. Thanks for the help in advance.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2016-11-07-19-20-32.png
    Screenshot_2016-11-07-19-20-32.png
    526.6 KB · Views: 192
  • Screenshot_2016-11-06-17-33-11.png
    Screenshot_2016-11-06-17-33-11.png
    561.2 KB · Views: 172
  • DSC_3505.JPG
    DSC_3505.JPG
    3.4 MB · Views: 183

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario

Intake Valve Adjustment: ENGINE OFF!
  • with #1 cylinder Intake Valve at full valve lift .... Adjust #6 Intake Valve
  • with #8 cylinder Intake Valve at full valve lift .... Adjust #5 Intake Valve
  • with #4 cylinder Intake Valve at full valve lift .... Adjust #7 Intake Valve
  • with #3 cylinder Intake Valve at full valve lift .... Adjust #2 Intake Valve
  • with #6 cylinder Intake Valve at full valve lift .... Adjust #1 Intake Valve
  • with #5 cylinder Intake Valve at full valve lift .... Adjust #8 Intake Valve
  • with #7 cylinder Intake Valve at full valve lift .... Adjust #4 Intake Valve
  • with #2 cylinder Intake Valve at full valve lift .... Adjust #3 Intake Valve
Exhaust Valve Adjustment: ENGINE OFF!

You will notice that this is the same procedure and sequence as the intake valves listed above. Only now you are adjusting ONLY the exhaust valves the same way.
  • with #1 cylinder Exhaust Valve at full valve lift .... Adjust #6 Exhaust Valve
  • with #8 cylinder Exhaust Valve at full valve lift .... Adjust #5 Exhaust Valve
  • with #4 cylinder Exhaust Valve at full valve lift .... Adjust #7 Exhaust Valve
  • with #3 cylinder Exhaust Valve at full valve lift .... Adjust #2 Exhaust Valve
  • with #6 cylinder Exhaust Valve at full valve lift .... Adjust #1 Exhaust Valve
  • with #5 cylinder Exhaust Valve at full valve lift .... Adjust #8 Exhaust Valve
  • with #7 cylinder Exhaust Valve at full valve lift .... Adjust #4 Exhaust Valve
  • with #2 cylinder Exhaust Valve at full valve lift .... Adjust #3 Exhaust Valve

• Informative
Reactions: 1 user

oldsmobile joe

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2015
mpls
traditionally, olds motors like yours don't need the lash set. the rocker bolts are of a shoulder bolt design. you just torque them and your done. however, i see you have changed to an aftermarket roller rocker design. i would contact the manufacturer of the rockers and follow their guidelines. it will be similar to what pontiacgp has listed above. verify with the manufacturer.

Opie Knievel

Rum Fueled Midnight Mechanic and Moderator
Sep 6, 2010
Brodhead, Kentucky
Hydraulic lifters should be set at 0 lash. Lash is the distance between the rocker and the tip of the valve. On a solid lifter setup the lash is set at a few thousandths to allow for the expansion of the metals. The engine gets warm, the metals expand and the lash gets taken up by the expansion.

marcar1993

G-Body Guru
Aug 31, 2007
New Jersey
Yes, 0 lash, plus a tiny bit, a 1/4 or 1/2 turn. With the cam on the base circle of each lobe (you will need to turn the motor to get one valve, then another) rotate the pushrod while tightening the adjustment. When you feel all the slack out of the pushrod, give it another 1/4-1/2 turn to preload the lifter (there is a spring in the lifter.) Done.

• Agree

WisconsinCutlass

Greasemonkey
May 28, 2014
Thanks for all the replies and help. I'm glad I did my research on this before going and setting the valve lash when I didnt need to. Im hoping to go through and check everything this weekend.

455'ed80Regal

Master Mechanic
Nov 3, 2010
Lincoln, MO
From zero lash I'd go another 1/2 turn and you should be good to go. That's what I did for my Edelbrock flat tappets and didn't have any issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor