Considering 8.8 Swap

Status
Not open for further replies.

leefybeaver

Apprentice
Jul 23, 2012
Canada
Hey experts. So considering an 8.8 rear end swap. I want to do this because I have a 6.0L sitting under the work bench in the garage collecting dust. I figure the 7.5 wouldn't last too long with that extra torque and horsepower. So I have done some reading and know the width is different based on what year and model the donor piece comes from. For now I'm looking strictly at Mustang parts. Most of the "direct swap" (loose quotations) use the fox body 8.8 because the width matches nicely. I was hoping to use the later SN95 8.8 for the swap. I like this idea because it comes equipped with disc brakes however it is an inch (maybe 2") wider than the stock 7.5, and they are dirt cheap when compared to GM options. I also like it cuz I have a 96 Mustang in the garage next to my Buick so I can use that for...well parts I suppose! Also not too worried about wheel fitment and offsets as this would be the time I finally ditch the Camaro wheels and get something nice!
Anyway long story short has anyone used the 8.8 from later Mustangs (94-04) for this swap? Troubles tips etc.
I'm reasonably setup for fab work so cutting, grinding, welding etc are not out of the question...but encouraged!

Bar50

Royal Smart Person
Jan 1, 2009
Tulsa, OK
The 99-04 are much wider than the Malibu rear that is closer in width to the Fox body.

Do it right. Put a 9 inch in it.

Google the Sloppy Mechanics Malibu wagon build....6.0 with a turbo spit out an 8.8

A Fox body 8.8 is 59.25" wide
A 99-04 Mustang 8.8 is 62.25" wide
78-87 G-body is 58" wide.

The 8.8 still uses c-clips for axle retention. So, let's say you keep the disc brakes. Don't care about wheels not matching bolt patterns. The geometry correction kit for the upper control arms $249(Trick Chassis) or $320(Baseline Suspension). Spherical upper busings are $85 or so for an 8.8 housing. To fit, the lower control arms need to be spherical or heim style they cost $150-200. For the shocks to work there is no bind shock adapter kit that runs $40-45.

So, it's mounted, with whatever gear and diff it has. Have the driveshaft shortened and ends swapped is roughly $100 plus or minus a pinion yoke/flange and u-joints.

Last edited:

Bar50

Royal Smart Person
Jan 1, 2009
Tulsa, OK
Look, I gathered up all the stuff to do a cheap rearend, an 8.8 4.10 posi from a 01 GT. I bought the geometry upper kit. I bought the spherical upper bushings. I found some lower control arm mounts with multiple holes for adjustment of the geometry.

Now, I am at cutting the housing to fit (stock width Malibu) and adding 9 inch style axles ($270) and housing ends ($80) that would retain the factory disc set up. At this point, I am considering a spool and 31, 33, or 35 spline axles as the axle price is negligible, same with the spool.

Just trying to save you from my: spend more money to save money and cost more time dilemma.

marcar1993

G-Body Guru
Aug 31, 2007
New Jersey
Yep, I kinda agree with the above post. I have a 97 8.8 in my car, and guess what, I am swapping in an 8.5.
I have a thread that covers the whole swap (also my t56 swap). For what I put into the 8.8 swap, I could have just done the 8.5 from the beginning and had a rear with less need for modifications. Unless you plan to just slap it in and leave it too wide and not touch the insides or the bolt pattern, there is no cost benefit to it.

Here's my thread:https://gbodyforum.com/threads/update-my-t56-and-ford-8-8-swap-finally-onto-rear-swap.51874/

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
If you wait a month or two I should have a kit that allows you to put an S10 zr2 rear end into a G body. Simple weld and bolt on brackets.They are factory 3.73 posi disk rears with 30 spline axles and 4 3/4 bolt circle. They are wider so you have to run a vette or 4th gen fbody rear wheel but that is a super common wheel offset. The rears are like $200 and my kit should be $400 or so. Stock control arms and sway bar will be retained.

If you can find a manual 4.3 4wd S10 they allegedly have a 59" wide 8.5 in a 3.42. My kit will work on one of those you just have to find one.

Bar50

Royal Smart Person
Jan 1, 2009
Tulsa, OK
If you wait a month or two I should have a kit that allows you to put an S10 zr2 rear end into a G body. Simple weld and bolt on brackets.They are factory 3.73 posi disk rears with 30 spline axles and 4 3/4 bolt circle. They are wider so you have to run a vette or 4th gen fbody rear wheel but that is a super common wheel offset. The rears are like $200 and my kit should be $400 or so. Stock control arms and sway bar will be retained.

If you can find a manual 4.3 4wd S10 they allegedly have a 59" wide 8.5 in a 3.42. My kit will work on one of those you just have to find one.

I am intrigued

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I guess you can probably build a 8.8 relatively cheap but for me I skipped all the hassles and any fitment issues and went with a bolt in Moser 9".
I bought just the housing and axle package and welded the rear brace on and added a fill cap and drain plug.
I shopped around a got the best price on my nodular case, my Detroit Locker and my gear and went with Wilwood rear disc brakes and had DTS set up the third member.
What I like about going this route is it already comes the right width, comes with strong axles that don't have c-clips, comes with the correct bolt pattern for your current wheels, uses stock control arms or aftermarket replacements, your gear and carrier are contained in a removeable third member, has a vast selection of gear ratios and there are plenty of available upgrades and also has enough aftermarket support to rival a SBC.

• Agree
Reactions: 5 users

Michaelweez

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 15, 2016

There are 2wd 8.5" rears from both S10's and Blazers that came behind a 4.3/5spd, differing info on when this all started some say 98 but more commonly 2000+. I had an 8.5" in a 2000 4.3/5spd ZQ8 s10, pretty tough to find these days though.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

DysonSS

Greasemonkey
Feb 26, 2017
Littleton NH

have you started making this kit yet? I am interested.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor