Console shifter fix.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 11, 2015
Hi All,
I’m looking at buying a Cutlass Calais but the shifter handle is broken. How difficult is it to replace / fix?

Attachments

• 719FDF17-73B8-4C62-9244-FC2309B319C8.jpeg
    719FDF17-73B8-4C62-9244-FC2309B319C8.jpeg
    235.2 KB · Views: 122

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
It looks fixable.

For one, you can get a new complete handle repop from many aftermarket places. Sure beats trying to piece together a GM unit. EVERYTHING was sold separately for those things. All that adds up.

But you will also need what they call an "extension", which can be bought aftermarket as well. It screws down into the center detent release rod. A spring on the bottom of the shifter holds all that up. It's probably missing now because there's no way to release the detent.

Even the shifters now are repopped, I think.

Bottom line, don't let that stop you if you want to buy the car. It's very fixable. But I'd use that as a negotiating point. That's at least $100 to fix that unless you go used parts.

Reactions: 1 users

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Wait, are you sure it's a Calais?? Calais was pre-85. If that is the picture of the actual shifter you're showing, it sure looks like a 1987 Salon V6. Basing that off the steering wheel, seat pattern, and shifter plate woodgrain pattern.

Here's a good start for the junk you're missing. Assuming you need gray as in the picture.

Reactions: 1 user

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
And once you do fix it. Get a spare handle base part at least. People mishandle them and their poor design allows too much force to twist the handle once in place. Time takes it's toll and it breaks right where this one did. On the inside first. Then the outer skin keeps it together but it's broken. Look for GM p/n 22525558 (gray) which you can pick up for around $30. Doesn't have all the buttons and guts and trim rings, but it's good to have a spare one of these on hand if you have a stock floor shifter to deal with.

Also spring for a new passenger side dummy button if you buy a spare handle. It does nothing, but it's supposed to be glued in place. I'd use some weak glue if it were me because if it ever breaks again, you'll play hell getting that thing out in one piece. And the new handle would look stupid without one. The rest of the components can be readily swapped over.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Jul 11, 2015
Excellent, thanks for all of the information. I confused my old ’84 Calais with this one. I believe it’s a Salon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor