• Agree
  • Informative
  • Useful
Reactions: 7 users

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
My son has the money for those high powered cars and he does drive a 4 series M packaged BMW (that he will trade in before the warranty is up) but he is planing on buying an old car to rebuild and have some fun with it. My GP is stored at his place for the winter and when his neighbors and friends are over he tells me my GP comes up in the conversation just about every time. These new "hodrods" may be impressive but the real hotrods still rules even if we are slower. If not then why do the drivers of the new "hotrods" feel so inferior that they have to prove their money goes quicker than our blood and sweat....

• Agree
Reactions: 6 users

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
It's cheaper to buy the crate motor. Don't need to register or buy insurance on the crate...

Reactions: 4 users

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
If not then why do the drivers of the new "hotrods" feel so inferior that they have to prove their money goes quicker than our blood and sweat....

The thing is you can put just as much effort and creativity into a new ride and still have it be a hot rod.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
"In the near future you can buy cars faster than the Demon and you won't even have to drive them."

Then what is the point of owning such a fast car if the computer will only go as fast as the control grid allows?

Many of my local yards have stopped selling newer engines. They chuck all the new ones into a big bin to await being sent to the smelter as they pay more than hotrodders.

• Useful
Reactions: 1 user

Wraith

Royal Smart Person
Jan 13, 2013
DFW, TX
Buying a "hot rod" has always been around, nothing new there, but building one has always been a skill/chore/sense of pride that most will never know. I'll take mine built, not bought.

• Agree
  • Winner
Reactions: 6 users

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
The thing is you can put just as much effort and creativity into a new ride and still have it be a hot rod.

that is true as long as you have the knowledge to upgrade the avionics and programs on your laptop to update the system......:)

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

GP403

Administrator
Site Admin
Feb 25, 2005
Rolla, MO
you mean as opposed to '69/'70-ish where you could just walk into and drive out of the showroom with a 440 six pack road runner superbird or a RAIV Judge or LS6 Chevelle and stuff? Or Mopar/Pontiac that sold legit racing parts over the counter? Kids today back then I tell you what.

No different. Not even a little. Just a little more HP and a few less seconds in the 1/4

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

UNGN

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 6, 2016
Southlake, TX
you mean as opposed to '69/'70-ish where you could just walk into and drive out of the showroom with a 440 six pack road runner superbird or a RAIV Judge or LS6 Chevelle and stuff? Or Mopar/Pontiac that sold legit racing parts over the counter? Kids today back then I tell you what.

No different. Not even a little. Just a little more HP and a few less seconds in the 1/4

But that really only lasted 2 years. We are already over 16 years from "500 Hp" cars being sold and 9 years from "650 Hp" cars being sold and "700 Hp" cars being sold for 3 years now. Next year GM will have 750, Chrysler (and Ford) will have over 800. Right now it looks like the run will go 20 years (vs. 2 - 1969-1970)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor