control arm bushing removal/install

Status
Not open for further replies.

bill

Royal Smart Person
Jul 11, 2008
southside va/lake gaston
Hello fellas,
Anybody had any luck removing control arm bushings? Im replacing all bushings, springs, tie rods, etc. But the bushings seem to be pressed in from the outside and must be pressed out from the inside. I have rented a tool from autozone but dont see how it can work. Any ideas or suggestion would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks...

patmckinneyracing

Royal Smart Person
Jan 18, 2009
San Antonio, TX
Well you need a press. I tried that tool too and couldn't quite figure it out so I took them to my buddies shop and had him press'em out. Trust me, they are in there REALLY tight and doing it without a press seems impossible IMO.

85GPLef41

Royal Smart Person
Nov 14, 2008
Colorado
I recently did the bushings on my control arms. I took a drill and drilled them out, then with a air hammer i pushed the rubber bushing out easily. I then took a hacksaw and "carefully" cut into the shells being carefull not to cut the arm. The with a chisel and sledge i gave it a couple whacks to collapse the shells inward. They came off pretty easily.

86Cutlass383SR

G-Body Guru
Apr 1, 2009
Sesser, IL
Maybe I shouldn't be adding this way and I've never done it myself but ...

You can light the bushings on fire with a torch, in a safe area of course, and let them slowly burn. They won't get hot enough to warp or damage anything (providing nothing catches on fire :shock: ) and after they go out, collapse the outer shell.

No, I didn't do mine this way ... really I didn't ...

bjohn07

Master Mechanic
May 9, 2010
pressing them out is always easier but if u dont have access to a press. and u got a air hammer it can be done this way to. i did it at home just as 85gplef41 described. if u got the correct tools it doesnt take long at all. and if u dont got the tools or access to a press just take em to a shop. i usually will go use my buddys press but before he got it i would take my stuff to a machine shop. they would charge me 15bucks to press out the bushings on the control arms or to press my carrier and pinion bushings on and off.

bill

Royal Smart Person
Jul 11, 2008
southside va/lake gaston
Thanks gents....
Im gonna try the drill and cut method and see how it goes. thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor