Control arm bushing removal

Status
Not open for further replies.

84dragcutlass

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2009
North Vernon IN
Anyone have any luck removing the bushings for replacement on particularly the rear control arms without smashing the flimsy things? I have the upper rear control arm bushings out now, the drivers one i smashed pretty good and the passenger side did better. Anyone have any tricks of the trade to avoid this?

Macguyver

SOUTHSIDE MACHINE PERFORMANCE
GBodyForum Sponsor
Mar 21, 2017
Reactions: 3 users

84dragcutlass

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2009
North Vernon IN
The wood is a good idea actually for spacers, ive been doing a project on my shed so i have scraps laying around i could make spacers for all around the bushing. These stock arms will get boxed simply because this car is getting the 6.5 turbo diesel and while itll have a lot of torque i wont exactly be tearing up the track to worry about the arms twisting too badly.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I have seen some cut a slot into the control arm to release the pressure on the bushing and weld it up before installing the new bushing

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
That's a lot of torque, though. Use some HARD WOOD like oak; pine will squash in the press. A piece of black steel pipe split in half would be my choice (or, just get aftermarket arms).

melloelky

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 22, 2017
mass
way back i cut pieces of tube in half to surround the bushing so the press wouldn't muckle the arm.

• Agree
Reactions: 5 users

MC96

Master Mechanic
Dec 7, 2015
Rears I use a sawsall to cut the bushing in half, then the ol drill bit in the bushing trick. Once the rubber and inner sleeve are out a chisel and hammer to collapse the shell.

Heat can help a little but dont get the metal too hot, just enough to burn the rust up.

Reactions: 5 users

84dragcutlass

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2009
North Vernon IN
lot of good suggestions, really liking the pipe around the bushing idea, that would ensure that the arm couldnt crush at any point around the bushing. i think i will try that with a mix of the heat and see if that makes it easier to break them loose while not crushing the arm at the same time

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Josh,
Definitely have them pressed in. Don't even consider beating them in. I remember when I removed my old bushings, I actually drilled out the rubber portion of the bushing and used an air chisel to collapse the outer shell. After cleaning and painting the arms, I brought them to a machine shop and had them press everything in...including the lower ball joints.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor