Convenience Center only works when out of the box

Status
Not open for further replies.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
I have taken the one in my 87 442 apart and also found the foam disintegrated. When I couldn't easily find foam thin enough, I cut a ring out of thin gasket material. Just needs to hold the disc away from the magnet, but not too far away. Now it sounds like the 80s again with the keys in and the door open
Hey Willie!!!! Take me back to the 80s, Dude...

Bad to the bone!

Reactions: 1 users

cruisincarlo

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 3, 2020
Unless you are diehard on keeping the factory buzzer you can put in an aftermarket unit from NAPA. It goes into the fuse box area, a fairly simple installation. My Delta 88 works sometimes, but the small aftermarket unit always works

Napa #7821637

Wageslave

Royal Smart Person
Jan 25, 2017
When mine died, I ended up using a Corvette unit of the same year in my Bonneville so it would sound the same.

Those units are pin compatible and a little easier to find because Corvette.

Reactions: 1 users

Wageslave

Royal Smart Person
Jan 25, 2017
Do you mean junkyard find?
I went the ebay reseller route because of convenience and I wanted the sound to be the same as the original. If I wasn't picky on the sound, about anything GM through the late 90s will fit and work.

All hail the GM parts bin.

Reactions: 1 user

popeye1978

Greasemonkey
Jul 4, 2014
I installed just the circuit board in the car and the "headlights on" alarm works so it is definitely something that happens when the circuit board is placed in the box. I don't want to drive-around with just the circuit board installed as the edge of the board was cutting-into a wire bundle above so I'm back at making the board work while it's in the box.

As the Fasten Seatbelt light has always worked and looking at the schematic some more I think GP403 is right that a connection with one of the pins is "going bad" when the board is put in the box, I think it's something to do with Pin_3 for Power(-)

I've found a shop that will repair the board, they said they could also manufacture clones. I am 50/50 of whether to repair or clone (to clone is obviously more expensive) but I have some time as I don't drop-off the board with them until the weekend, PM me if you want a modern clone.

... and to wageslave's point, it appears some Pontiac/Chevrolet cousins are part numbers 10021724 and 10037040 (thank you, oemcats.com) and one of each is on eBay, though the 40 has eight pins (instead of the seven on mine).

I'd rather figure-out what is wrong with what I have as at this point, it's the principle of the thing.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor