Convert digital to analog odometer? CONCLUSION

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
'99 Sunfire again. While I have the dash apart I was wondering if I could swap out the digital odometer with a '95 analog. The digital is getting cranky, sometimes is out for days, and the trip odometer is dead. Both are electric, have the same colored wires in the harness, and look to be physically interchangeable. The '99 is a manual car and the '95 is automatic. I know nothing how these work, I would appreciate if anyone knows about these things, educate me.

LS1GN

G-Body Guru
Aug 7, 2011
Central Florida
Re: Convert digital to analog odometer?

I don't know..... but I'm hoping we have a speedo expert on here. I need to put an aftermarket one in my car.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY

Yeah, me too. All I know for sure is that everything on the dash is electronic, tach, speedo, odo, trip odo, everything.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY

While perusing the manual today I found out some stuff. The dash cluster has a microprocessor. The Vehicle Speed Sensor sends data to the Powertrain Control Module, which sends the data to the dash computer, which operates the speedo and odo, by electric motor. I'm thinking if there is a difference in dash computers for the digital and analog odo's, then swapping them with the odo's may work. OR, maybe they are the same?

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY

Another snag. Car will not start, because by removing the instrument cluster I tripped the Theft Lock feature. Now I find the manual says the PCM talks to the instrument cluster's computer and swaps codes. So I would have to keep the original cluster and maybe see if the analog odo will work with it. But first need to see what else it is I unplugged that is keeping the car from running. Grrrr. :evil:

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario

we (not me so much, I had no interest in it) built a car similar to yours for some event and we could not start the car when stuff was removed due to the security code. We had to get the computer flashed I think to get it to start. I can find out more detailed info tomorrow

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY

Well, I'm eventually going to put everything back in it's proper place. I just wanted to start it and look for leaks being that it took 2 days just to dig down to the heater core. I can't pressurize the system because the radiator has no filler cap. I'm glad I did test first though, as I damaged an "O" ring, and it leaked R-134. It wouldn't hold vacuum so I charged it slightly and then the sniffer found it. But according to my manual's wiring schematics satisfying the Theft Lock may be as simple as clicking the seat belt. :blam:

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario

they had the seatbelts out...I wonder if that would work

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY

Nope. Didn't work. But the "O" ring fixed the AC leak. She held vacuum all night. Now I'm putting it all back together, shouldn't take more than a year at this rate.
friday.gif

Blake442

Geezer
Apr 24, 2007
Minneapolis

The odometer should be fine going from digital to analog.
I had an all-digital instrument cluster in my '96 Caprice, and it was plug & play to convert to an all-analog cluster out of a Z28.
You can also get 'beefier' resistors I think they are to repair a failing digital unit.
My buddy had a '96 Impala SS with a dying digital odometer, and I soldered in the new part and it worked like a charm.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor