Convert to Manual Choke ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tynan918

Royal Smart Person
Aug 2, 2021

I NEED a 1901 Edelbrock AVS2 Series for my 305 but they are all back ordered until October...🤦🏾‍♂...1901 is the electric choke 500cfm carburetor...

There is a 1902 AVS2 500cfm, but it's a manual choke and I don't have a manual choke setup in my '84 Monte Carlo...and AVS2 series carburetors can't swap from manual choke to electric choke.

How challenging is changing my choke setup in my car to a manual choke setup ?

bruisedbanana79

Master Mechanic
May 6, 2021
No clue on converting to a manual choke but keep your eye out for the 1403 as I show in stock date of 4/7/22.

But in the mean time keep reading about CFM requirements. There is a reason you can go buy a holley sniper or FItech throttle body right now that is rated at 1,000 cfm and it will run fantastic. It is because the fuel injection is controlling the amount of fuel that is needed. My personal vote would still be to tune the carb you have, if you are itching to spend some money drop in an O2 sensor with an AFR gauge and get it cruising nicely. I am willing to bet you the pinkslip to my car that doing this will yield you better results than just putting the new carb on.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

Tynan918

Royal Smart Person
Aug 2, 2021
No clue on converting to a manual choke but keep your eye out for the 1403 as I show in stock date of 4/7/22.

But in the mean time keep reading about CFM requirements. There is a reason you can go buy a holley sniper or FItech throttle body right now that is rated at 1,000 cfm and it will run fantastic. It is because the fuel injection is controlling the amount of fuel that is needed. My personal vote would still be to tune the carb you have, if you are itching to spend some money drop in an O2 sensor with an AFR gauge and get it cruising nicely. I am willing to bet you the pinkslip to my car that doing this will yield you better results than just putting the new carb on.
1403 AVS2 series ? I'm specifically looking for AVS2 series.

I spoke with Edelbrock and gave them my engine specs, told them AVS2 and they told me 1901 or 1902...said the 1906 (650cfm) is way too big for my engine.

AVS2 is much better than Performer series for a number of reasons...worth the choke conversion

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
Perhaps there is an electric choke kit available for the manual choke carb? Usually cheaper to get it factory-installed, but sometimes you have to make conce$$ions to get what you want....

Reactions: 1 user

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
Why did those stupid GM engineers think a 750cfm Quadrajet was okay on my 305? They should have probably just called Edelbrock. Narcissistic retards!
Q-jet is a superior carb anyways. In the absence of edelbroke availability, I'd check in with reputable q-jet sources like JET Performance in CA among many others and slap a q-jet on there, even if going non-CCC.

Reactions: 2 users

bruisedbanana79

Master Mechanic
May 6, 2021
1403 AVS2 series ? I'm specifically looking for AVS2 series.

I spoke with Edelbrock and gave them my engine specs, told them AVS2 and they told me 1901 or 1902...said the 1906 (650cfm) is way too big for my engine.

AVS2 is much better than Performer series for a number of reasons...worth the choke conversion
Why didn’t ask them how to convert to a manual choke?

Reactions: 1 users

Tynan918

Royal Smart Person
Aug 2, 2021
Perhaps there is an electric choke kit available for the manual choke carb? Usually cheaper to get it factory-installed, but sometimes you have to make conce$$ions to get what you want....
Can't convert the chokes on the AVS Series...Edelbrock told me that... 🤦🏾‍♂

But I can run a choke cable through my firewall to the 1902...💁🏾‍♂

1901 is the electric choke model and is back ordered anywhere from a few weeks until October 3rd....even at Edelbrock.🤦🏾‍♂

Auto parts stores (all of them) have the 1905 and 1906 (650cfm), not the 1901 or 1902 (500cfm)...🤦🏾‍♂

With a engine cfm rating of 411, 650cfm is too big for my 305.

Tynan918

Royal Smart Person
Aug 2, 2021
Can't convert the chokes on the AVS Series...Edelbrock told me that... 🤦🏾‍♂

But I can run a choke cable through my firewall to the 1902...💁🏾‍♂

1901 is the electric choke model and is back ordered anywhere from a few weeks until October 3rd....even at Edelbrock.🤦🏾‍♂

Auto parts stores (all of them) have the 1905 and 1906 (650cfm), not the 1901 or 1902 (500cfm)...🤦🏾‍♂

With a engine cfm rating of 411, 650cfm is too big for my 305.
Not usually, they just make up the horsepower lost from the sticker by superior engineering.
1901 and 1902 are Qjet carbs...

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor