CONVERTING POWER TO MANUAL WINDOWS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Melissasinave

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 9, 2021
hey everyone. I'm still having issues with my power windows on my 88 cutlass. the current doors I have are power on a car that originally had manual doors, I am wanting to know which parts need to be changed out to convert the windows from power to manual. and if till I change them out if there is a way to just wire a toggle switch to the windows to roll up and down till I convert. thank you

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
What issue are you having? Converting to manual is easier than converting to power IMO.

I think it would be easiest to repair whatever is wrong with yours.

Melissasinave

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 9, 2021
What issue are you having? Converting to manual is easier than converting to power IMO.

I think it would be easiest to repair whatever is wrong with yours.
I have no idea what parts have to be replaced. I have been told manual is easier. I’ve never done it and I am trying to do research of what parts I need but I can seem to find an answer

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Both regulators and interior door panels.

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Window cranks as well with locking clips and the inner door panels.

5spdCab

Royal Smart Person
Dec 29, 2019
Tukwila, Wa.
hey everyone. I'm still having issues with my power windows on my 88 cutlass. the current doors I have are power on a car that originally had manual doors, I am wanting to know which parts need to be changed out to convert the windows from power to manual. and if till I change them out if there is a way to just wire a toggle switch to the windows to roll up and down till I convert. thank you
So, your car was originally manual window doors, and now you have doors with power windows? So, you have no electrical harness to operate your windows, and want to go back to manual? Do your electric doors still have at least a partial harness? Is the car a 2 door or 4 door?

I see different options.
1) You can see if you can get a harness as an above reply mentioned, or if you know someone that has electrical skills, that person can build/create a harness for you.
2) You might find manual regulators and cranks at a wrecking yard, or can purchase new/aftermarket regulators and cranks, and install them, or have them installed. This might also require new/used upper panels unless you can cut the crank holes in the existing panels, and patch the electric switch holes.
As far as wiring in switches, yes it can be done. I converted TO electric windows about a year ago, built my own harness, and wired in the switches. I used 25 amp DPDT (double pole, double throw) switches wired directly to the window motors, mounted on a home built switch panel.
20200427_174211.jpg

Left window, door lock, and right window. (My windows and locks are "voltage reversing" meaning that if you swap positive and negative, the motor moves the opposite way. Be sure that your's are before wiring according to below diagram)

Schematic for wiring a voltage reversing switch.
20200429_192015.jpg

My car is a two door from 1978. If 1988 uses same regulators, I have a pair, and can get the hand cranks to go with them. They are a little loose and wobbly, but always worked.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor